I'm kinda sad... is being an Owner Operator really that bad?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Robm78, Feb 1, 2012.

1. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West

Wellllllll said... I cant divorce my truck and thank god everything is paid for but alot of great points on this post... like ive stated previously you have to be STRONG WILLED and COMMITED...Some days you will look in the mirror and ask yourself is this worth it..My answer was Heck Yeah..40 yrs later im still doing it..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Robm78

Robm78 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Lakewood, WA
    Well, I hit all that on the money...lol. The only thing I would say that I am not is a good business man and that is because it hasnt been proven, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Single
    Renter
    Diesel mech for the Marines
    Definitely not a hothead, impatient or know it all in anything that I do where my career is on the line.
    6 months from my bachelors degree
    and so on :)

BTW... if anyone wouldnt mind mentoring me, shoot me a PM, I would be forever grateful. :) Ok, back to research :)

4. Wings2Wheels

Wings2Wheels Medium Load Member

May 3, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Well Semper Fi, Devil Dog!

You have more going for you than 90% of the individuals out there, so long as you apply the discipline and skill sets ingrained in you in the Corps.

If you're 6 months from your bachelor's degree, why not go back in the military as an officer for some period of time, then come out and do the Guard/Reserves?

It is the ultimate 'back up plan' to have in your hip pocket. Trust me, I know a little bit about that one...

Fratsit Thanks this.
  5. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    ou already got 25 k saved. You are already a leg up on the dreamers!

6. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    you get out of it , what you put into it,its tuff but it can be done you just have to watch every penny:biggrin_2557:

7. Robm78

Robm78 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Lakewood, WA
    I have honestly thought about that, but I am 33 years old so I absolutely can't get back in the Marines (I checked) and I have even considered OCS in the Army which I can still do. Its just difficult to sign that dotted line again, especially if its not the Marines..lol

Appreciate the responses guys, I definitely know I am going to get what I put in to it...I'm honestly not worried because I have been successful at everything I have done, but I have a ton of learning to do and just don't want to dive right in without a ton of research. I havent even started looking for a truck yet..lol I've been told Pete or Volvo, but still not sure.

8. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    I agree with fortycalglock, I am leased to the same company he is except longer.

Your avg lease operator have no business being a o/o because they bought a truck with the preconceived notion that you buy a truck and drive it and make all this money.... WRONG !

The one thing I learned since buying my first truck in 96 was that this is a BUSINESS first and foremost. You have to have a clue about the economy, understand how it works and understand that if your pulling a flatbed, that you are NOT going to find freight in the middle of NV, NM or AZ, and if you do, you will be lucky if it even pays for your fuel.

With that said, you also need to understand that if your only earning .95 a miles plus fsc and your not making enough to pay yourself.... running more miles is not going to earn you any more money.

I like trucking, I've done well... my equipment is paid for and the most I've ran in the past 5 yrs is 53,000 miles a yr, but I've worked hard, no scratch that... I've worked smart to get where I am. I will be the first to admit that I've been very fortunate as well.

You want to be a O/O ? Go for it.
    Remember that trucking is more then being a driver (those guys are going out of business every day) you need to understand your cost, you need to do as much of your maint as possible. These shops get $100 an hr with 3-4hr minimum... your time is free in comparison which allows you to invest that money in fuel or tools for future repairs. I do all my own accounting, maint and record keeping.

Trucking is a business and you don't stop being a business owner when you turn that key off.

Do you still want to be a O/O ?

9. Robm78

Robm78 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Lakewood, WA
    lol..this is absolutely nothing against you personally Starline at all.... but I see a lot of people trying to scare off people from being an o/o or something close to it.

I have never said I think I am going to make a ton of money or think its a cake walk or think I dont have to work crazy hard for the rest of my life and so on.... I DO understand what I am getting in to and I am willing to take the risk doing it.

Success or fail, I will have learned a lot and I will have fun doing it :)

MrFred Thanks this.
  10. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Rob, most of us can already tell you aren't the typical wannabee that comes on here and asks dumb questions that would easily pop up in a search. 2 days ago this was posted in the finance section
    For every one of you, there are 20 of these. There are many idiots that actually succeed in this business, so a guy/gal with a brain has much better odds.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's not that anyone's trying to get you shaking in your boots. You just need to go into it with eyes wide open and no illusions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.