I'm kinda sad... is being an Owner Operator really that bad?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Robm78, Feb 1, 2012.

1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    When you buy a truck it is a business FIRST. The driving part is a task of the business. I talk to O/O's weekly that can drive but have no clue to what it takes to run this business. And some have been at it for over 20-years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    When you buy any piece of equipment it's business first, doesn't matter if it's a big crane, a t-plate dump truck, or a lawnmower for mowing yards in the neighborhood.

not talking about anyone in particular, but people like to act like being an o/o is some super special thing requiring voodoo rituals and chicken sacrifices to get right, It's just a business. Nothing mystical about it. Its numbers and understanding information. A little pr dealing with customers. The same stuff involved in any other business.

Now it can't be impossible there are hundreds of thousands of o/o's out there, but everyone makes it seem that way.

The more you tell me I can't do something, the more determined I am to do it, and do it better than you....Hmm, I think I found my new sig.

CaptPeabody and RockyWI Thank this.
  4. RockyWI

RockyWI Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Wisconsin gal
    Nice sig. :biggrin_25525:

5. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Then I must be doing something wrong. The wife and I team and only clear around 70k per year. We did almost that good as company drivers.

6. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    well ya answered your own question. you must be doing something wrong, i did well more than that as a single driver on 108,000 miles and that includes deadhead.

how many miles and what did ya gross fireball

7. Robm78

Robm78 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Lakewood, WA
    Well... over the last few days of reading, reading and more reading... I have only just figured out WHAT! I want to do which is to stay in flatbedding. I love tarping, I love staying in shape and I love the responsibility of tieing down the loads. I still havent looked at trucks or trailers... I was thinking Peterbuilt, 13 speed, 500ish HP, 240 in wheelbase and a 48 or 53ft spread axle. Still need to do research on brokers and what I can haul. I can't find to much being based out of Orange County cause everyone hates California..lol

Oh, still debating whether the best move for me is to lease onto someone for a short time or run under my own authority as well.

8. fireba11

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Grossed 205k and ran 105k miles. We haul A & E freight so u do alot of sitting in between loads

9. hellomcflywakeup

hellomcflywakeup Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2011
    fla,opps fl
    maybe he was talking about lease ops?

10. fireba11

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Nope, I lease my truck to a company.

11. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    You've been getting some pretty sage advice here. This is a good thread.
    Most that know me on this board, know that my big thing is OVERHEAD. I constantly bang the table about keeping your overhead as low as possible. You're doing good research, branch out beyond these forums and talk to owner ops that are doing what you're considering.
    When I started out, I got the most affordable "decent" truck I could find, with the goal of upgrading in a years time. That kept my overhead down and allowed me to grow my business and reach that goal.

jess-juju Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.