im my trainers first trainee...... Need Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 232trucker, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 232trucker

232trucker Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Queens, New York
    Hey Guys.. I'm A Newbie 2Nd Day In Training Out With A Trainer.. And I Need Advice On What U Co When Your Your Trainers First Student... I Feel He Is Doing More Teaching Than Training.. Lol I Know It Sounds Wierd.. But He Acts Like If I Don't Do Things Right He's Gonna Fail Me Or Something.. On Top Of That His Fleet Manager Is Tryna Make Us Run Like A Team.. I Am Fresh Out Of School And Feel Like Im Getting The Short End Of This.. I Don't Know If I Should Tell My Student Driver Manager And Start Some Big Thing Here Even Im Only On My Second Day... Since U Guys Got Experience Any Advice On What Should I do...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Teaming on Day 2.......Nice. What company is this?

4. Off-n-on

Off-n-on Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Phila, PA
    Well at least there's no snow yet. How long has your trainer been driving ??

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

I Feel He Is Doing More Teaching Than Training:biggrin_2559: What do you think TRAINING is if its not TEACHING ?

Training is the acquisition of knowledge, skills and competencies as a result of the teaching of vocational or practical skills and knowledge that relate to specific useful competencies

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    drvrtech77 and Reycer Thank this.
  6. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    What should you do ? Climb up the truck, put it in gear, and go to hauling freight .What are you expecting ? If your trainer is not doing his job, request a change. This is real life trucking. Get to work.

123456 Thanks this.
  7. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Look, training usually sucks. Take it it for what it is, a learning experience and stepping stone to bigger and better things. It's not permanent so deal with it unless it's extremely unbearable and if it is, you better have a darn good reason for taking it over your trainer's head. Now, if your trainer really sucks and is saying and doing stuff he shouldn't be doing and saying, etc., you can always tape or record him and blackmail him into shaping up ... either he starts treating and talking to you right or the tape/recording goes to the company. You're there to learn. As long as you're learning, take what you can ... except abuse.

8. DieselDog81

DieselDog81 Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Between here and there
    First off, training does equal teaching for the most part.

Besides, just climbing up, throwing it in gear and hauling.... What you and your trainer need to do is sit down and have a very frank, open and honest conversation about what each of you expect out of the other. And then go from there.

Moosetek13 and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  9. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Not sure what he thinks or expects you to know or don't know, But see what he has going on, see what he wants to "Teach" you, Talk with him, I am sure he has been through the trainer courses at your company, I am sure he may be as nervous as you are about it.

10. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Need more info, training is teaching... but what is lacking so far? it's only day 2 after all. If you don't feel you are learning anything by the end of week 1 then there is definitely an issue. But day one is bare bones basic stuff like QC/Peoplenet, logging, etc. As for the trying to run yall as a team that's his job to make sure they don't until he feels ya'll are ready to do so. Don't get cornered into doing something that you aren't comfortable with that could get you both hurt.

Just my .02

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  11. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Well, I would have loved for someone to teach me. I climbed up the first day.. got outside salt lake and my trainer went to bed. I wasn't taught anything.. we teamed from day one. I drove and slept. We had minimal time to do anything but drive. We really moved and you can kinda say I taught myself on driving. He would wake up when I hit the rumble strip or I would ask to stop and stretch my legs. Other than that.. we were a team from day one. I respect my trainer and wish i could still keep in touch but he was in a financial bind and seen me as a way out. Shoot, I had to stay behind my class and practice backing for a additional day just to pass my backing test.. but that solo driving test.. my recruiter told me that what ever my trainer did.. he sure did it right.
    I can give you some advice and say its only day 2.. take in some of the teachings. Everyone is different, he may have a system in his mind and it starts by explaining everything and then showing you and then by trail and error on your parts.. so I would just relax.. you have quite a bit of time in front of you.. he has to get in a groove just like you do. Now if in a week, he is still explaining things and you haven't driven.. might want to think hard on having a frank conversation, letting him know you appreciate the vast wealth of knowledge he has to offer.. but you need practice to fully put that information to good use.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.