I'm not a driver any more, but hubs is and the question is about a paycheck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RangerMelB, Jul 1, 2022.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That has become my first question in finding a job. "Do you charge drivers for your business expenses?" If the answer is other than never, move to the next company.

Sure it's reimbursed but it never should have gone through the drivers paycheck to begin with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RangerMelB

RangerMelB Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2022
    Eastern Kansas
    @ZVar EXACTLY!!!! Imagine how thrilled I was to find that Because he wouldn't jump on a plane with all the gear he'd brought with him for up to 5 weeks out with his mentor to fly to the other end of the country to get 'his truck' and instead insisted on a rental car, all that was out of pocket for reimburse. I couldn't SAY whether they would have bought the plane ticket or not, but rooms, food and gas, he had to buy. He also was not paid for the time. This sort of behavior almost feels like hazing...

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Oof.

We even pay our drivers mileage pay (up to 500 miles) no matter how they get to orientation (on top of paying for the method of transportation). We rent a car for them to drive? Mileage pay from home. We buy a plane ticket? Mileage pay. They hop on one of our trucks passing through? Mileage pay. Any method other than rental car? Your first load is back to/through your home to pick up all the stuff you'll need on the truck.

Truck breaks down on the road? Call dispatch, and they will arrange for a hotel with the company CC. Need parts/fluids/additives? Put up to $100 at a time on your EFS card. Bigger repairs? Call the shop and they will authorize repairs and cut a money code for an EFS check. Tolls? That's what the I-Pass is for.

I'll never understand this whole "reimbursement" scheme from a lot of places. If the company's not paying it up-front, there is a good chance they will play games with the money on the back side, as you just saw.

5. RangerMelB

Jul 1, 2022
    Eastern Kansas
    100% Ayup... I'm not quite slitty eyed over their hijinx, but I'm already over how they love and respect their drivers.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. RangerMelB

Jul 1, 2022
    Eastern Kansas
    Hubs and I laughed somewhat ironically that it could truly be worse... his student buddy, who was from Eastern Ohio, was sent to South TX to get his truck, and when he arrived. discovered the shop guys had the entire interior OUT because they were trying to get rid of the Urinal smell.... apparently there had either been a terminal incontinence issue, or an accident with a pee bottle for about 9 mos straight.. He stood around and watched them cleaning on this truck interior for about a day, gagging at the stench every time he got near it before finally saying, ya know... I'm not accepting that mess. you need to find me something else.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    If I am reading it right. This was for a hotel room while the truck was getting fixed. They reimburse for that at most companies. Assuming you get them the receipts to show it is valid. Hence why they took it out as Fuel Adv. No receipt, at least on time, it was treated as his expense. Pretty standard. I would say. Not like he's being charged for the repair.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Any advance it seems comes over as "fuel adv" with this company in question. Which is pretty much the norm. Any truck co. I've worked for over the years has the driver pay, get a receipt, turn in the receipt and get re-imbursed. If the driver is cash poor, he gets an advance which is deducted and then re-imbursed when turning in the receipt. This way, no $$$ fronted by the co.

9. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Never had to do this yet. Don't think I'd want to. The idea of tying up my money till hopefully my next paycheck seems like a imposition to me. Submitting and tracking receipts to ensure reimbursement. All of this just sounds like a headache.
    A company credit card seems a lot more convenient.
    With my luck a $20 receipt would get lost in all the paperwork and they would refuse reimbursement. I'd hate to have to quit over $20 but I would.

ZVar and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I've been at my company almost 7 years, and have never once paid for anything out of pocket. I think that's how it should be.

Now granted, I guess I've never stayed in a hotel at this company, but I've had a few unforeseen things happen, and it's always been paid for by them, up front.

DRTDEVL and scott180 Thank this.
  11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The company paid for it. Like using a t check for a lumper. But he didn't get the receipt to them to show it was actually used for the hotel and didn't just go in his pocket.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.