I'm not loco for going local am I?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hawkeye212, Jan 6, 2018.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Some companies only take you seriously when they find out you're actually gonna leave.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I run local, on occasion Ill take a load to 1 of the lower western states, but back the next day or so.
    It takes 15 minutes to load, Calportland

mojave Im in and out of the plant under 15 minutes to load, unloading between 20 to 30 minutes.

lrave the house at midnight to runs into Burbank and parked t home by 10am. Off weekends. Pay averages between 52 to 60 per years.
    I drive a new pete.

Why run otr for less money. And local running the ELD becomes your friend instaed of your foe.

bottomdumpin and JReding Thank this.
  4. Hawkeye212

Hawkeye212 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Yep. The money the local was offering with the hours of 50-60 hours a week turned out to be what the current company would pay me running 2300-3000 miles a week, which is what I run anyways. I hate sitting at the docks for hours. An hour... Fine. But 3-4. No way. Maybe it's the fact that I am thinking about the unloaders taking their sweet time and not caring.
    Like I said before, it was a very hard decision but one that I'm really excited for

JReding Thanks this.
  5. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I’m jealous. I start at midnight and get off around 1400-1600

6. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    OTR is the ace in the whole for all of us.
    It's always there.
    Local job falls thru, need some extra money,
    Divorced,kicked out the house, no place to stay.
    One phone call and your gone.

7. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Bumping this year and a half old post. If this isn't the truest thing I have ever read on the internet, I don't know what is. Makes me appreciate OTR a little bit more.

8. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    I'm the opposite. Been local for 15 years and I'm looking to go otr. I live in a compact area Bay area northern California. And even though I'm paid hourly I just sit in traffic all day and deal with rude customers. Cant wait to leave

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I've been local most of my driving career. I got my CDL in 2016. I much prefer to be with the wife and kids at night. I live in western NY and we traditionally have had a very strong agricultural industry.... Lots of milk and farms. With agriculture comes trucking. If my current job with Walton fell through there is probably more then a dozen other haulers I could drive for...... But if this industry completely collapses all bets are off. There is dump truck and trailer work but the majority of that type of work is seasonal in nature.

Funny as this sounds my intention when I went to trucking school was to haul milk locally. I had worked as a plant reciever in my past so I knew how much work exists in milk hauling around here. I'm doing what I set out to do and so far this year I'm already at 49k.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.