I'm now doing virtual flatbed in American Truck Simulator game.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TomCougar, Sep 13, 2019.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    six_words_2x.png
    Six Words

Kerbal, while having a very strong science basis, cannot be used to plan space missions.

The Deadliest Catch video game will not prepare you to run a crab boat.

GTA will not teach you how to drive or be a criminal.

You don't have HOS, you don't have load securment, you don't have IFTA, etc. You show up with your "rig " to a jobsite and no one will care about the paint. If you start talking to other drivers they will ask about engines, securment, fuel, lanes, HOS.

The only people who run custom painted trucks are those who have a specific business need or those about to go broke. I can't ever remember seeing a custom painted trailer except on a show truck.

You know why OOs drive "classic" trucks - the engine. What engine is in your "truck"?

Daycabs work for local work, they do not as a rule work for regional.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We'll let you off with a warning this time. :rolleyes:

I know the mod who moved the OP's thread. He's pretty sneaky. The reason it got moved to Electronics was because there isn't a Useless Trivia and Total Waste Of Time forum.;)

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look dude we play this game 14 hours a day seven days a week.

Mike2633, D.Tibbitt, buddyd157 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    The game engine I have in my game Kenworth is a PACCAR 405 HP. The game wants to charge me $42K game dollars to replace the engine. There will be 700+ HP CAT and Cummins engines available as I advance. Is it really worth it spend over $40K dollars to get an extra 300-some ponies under the hood?
    My truck is also governed at 65 MPH. There's no reason under the sun for a 40-ton monster to go faster than that. Custom painting a tractor or a trailer costs me about $8K game dollars for each vehicle. What would Kenworth really charge me extra for factory chartreuse on a W900 day cab? I don't think a sleeper is necessary to operate between CA, AZ and NV. There are cheap motels. Some O/Os actually sleep at them. Lodging costs for O/O drivers is probably calculated in shipping rates. O/O can write this off for the IRS. When I get tired driving in the game, I pull off the road and hit Pause.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Despite all the negativity around here....

@TomCougar, focus on the driving and backing aspects. If your simulator is anything close to Wheels of Steel, that portion of the game should give you a decent idea of how to maneuver in real world situations. Everything else is just fluff.

Game money and economics have nothing to do with real world markets. But game physics can help SOMEWHAT with real world maneuvers. You will still need real world, hands on training before you come out to play with the rest of us clowns.

Oh...and I hate lime green trucks. Go for a nice, deep blue!:p

Badmon, Mike2633 and Cummins_444 Thank this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If your simulator game was truly authentic your truck would be parked on the side of the road or in service at the dealership for months at a time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Don't mind me, just doing a parked regen: maxresdefault.jpg

9. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    Well, I only paid $5.00 for the game sim via Steam! It's pretty entertaining for that cheap still.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The lights on for safety in case someone doesn't see the truck is a nice touch.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You asked for an opinion, I gave you one. If a real world driver came and posted pictures of his rig saying look at how pretty I would ask "how does your balance sheet look?".

If you are not returning to the barn after every shift, yes a sleeper is necessary. A sleeper costs about $20,000 more than a day cab - pays for itself in a year. Even if a hotel is "calculated in shipping rates", you are spending money that could be better spent reinvesting in your company. Those day cabs you see at hotels are guys you need a day cab for a specific reason, are taking a one off load outside of their run area, got caught out with the HOS, or are running outlaw.

$8,000 represents a year's profits (versus the same work as a company driver) for most OOs running general freight. And yes, KW will charge extra for special paint. Schneider gave up it's signature orange colored trucks because of the cost.

CAT doesn't currently make an OTR engine, but yes Cummins is a much better engine. PACCAR is garbage - they are unreliable, heavy sobs. Would I pay $40k to swap out an engine? Heck no - I just wouldn't have bought the cruddy engine in the first place. If I had bought it, run it until it blows up. Should only take 3 to 4 weeks.

I play video games, and I enjoy them. However I don't go looking for praise about my high scores from people I don't know.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.