I'm rebuilding a 1996 Peterbuilt 3406e CAT with a 13 speed

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Peterbuilt1013, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Peterbuilt1013

Peterbuilt1013 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Chicago
    I'm fairly new to trucking. I don't want the headaches of owning an authority and trying to find drivers to earn CPM over the road. As of right now, I purchased an old cattle truck that is pretty solid. I have it in the garage and tearing down the motor and transmission. For the most part, this is a very fun project. I've thought about leasing it out like what Penske does. About twice a week I get a phone call from drivers who are asking me for a truck to rent. I really not sure if that's the best idea to have random drivers in an older truck.

Do you think there would be a lot of drivers interested in lease to purchase an older truck? It was be exempt from ELD rule, no emissions. Plus I'll do a few perks that drivers want. TV, Satellite system, cellphone boost, Fridge, Microwave and custom surround sound. I'm assuming newer vs older trucks is a hot debate. In my opinion I want older trucks. DPF systems and computers annoy me.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    One way or another this square peg is going in that round hole eh lol

4. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Doesn’t sound like a good business plan. 2 reasons.
    1.) you are going to spend a ton of money just to have someone else rag it out.

2.) any driver worth a darn with any money will already have his own truck.

5. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    And if he doesn’t have money it’s probably because he isn’t very smart with money. Which mean you’ll get the shaft.

KB3MMX and Opendeckin Thank this.
  6. Peterbuilt1013

Dec 29, 2018
    Chicago
    I poked around a little bit in the market a few months ago. There's a big demand for drivers who need to get into their own truck. Slaves working for carriers and don't have the financial backing for owning their own equipment. Owning your own DOT numbers is another story though.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    If you have that much cash on you to do this plan you need to go to Vegas.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    There is a reason why they don’t have their own truck. I am not willing to gamble my money on someone I don’t know. The only reason a driver is a slave at a company is because they have made poor decisions that have stuck them there. Knowing that, it would be an unwise investment.

KB3MMX, Long FLD, Ruthless and 3 others Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The only part I like about this, is the '96 Pete, the rest scares me. Old cattle truck,,,good lord, rent it out? Oh, boy. Um, you ARE new trucking, aren't you. The only thing I'd do with this, as I'm sure you got a deal on it, is fix it up the way you'd like it, and drive it yourself. Older Petes are in high demand, as you say, and you've got one. I was a fool and sold mine, I'll never get it back.What you describe sounds like a recipe for disaster. You might find a driver along the way you can trust, but be advised, most of the "good" drivers today aren't looking for a job.

KB3MMX, Long FLD, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Peterbuilt1013

Dec 29, 2018
    Chicago
    There's ways around it to control the risks. Example is getting them into their own authority than be signed onto a carrier. I tossed around the idea. Such as factor the freight bills and help with carrier set up / dispatch, IFTA reporting. I'm sure it's a feasible idea with the right person. And there are a lot of drivers who would want that kind of opportunity.

Humblepie and 201 Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    That's true, and I rarely squelch anyones ambition, but just remember, you came to us, and many here have 30,40, even 50 years in this, and some things never change. It's the truck that will have most today saying it's not worth it. Anybody today can drive a condo Peterbilt, and fewer and fewer want a truck like yours. I like it, but we're disappearing fast. If, when the Packers win another Superbowl, I would ever do something like you say, is get a new truck, and run somebody ragged. That way, the truck is not the issue. Good luck.

KB3MMX, Bean Jr. and Humblepie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.