I'm sold on light steady pressure rather than snubbing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Reaper'sTrucking, Nov 27, 2022.

1. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    6 times?

striker and Hammer166 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    upload_2022-12-23_14-58-7.jpeg

I think I’ll stick with ‘snub’ braking for the simple fact that I d+h a lot of out of spec trailers.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Back in the day, we all had 9/16th wrenches next to our seat. First thing we'd do was adjust the brakes on the trailer you were grabbing.

Well... The decent drivers did anyways... Wasn't unusual to get several full turns of you grabbed a trailer a lazy ####### had been dragging around.

Bean Jr., rockeee, striker and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It makes sense because the real goal is to go slow enough that the engine does most of the braking and then your brakes assist.

The other problem is with snub breaking you're braking harder you're using more friction material your drums are heating up and that is going to cause premature brake and drum wear.

My goal is for my stuff to last me as long as possible. And when it's time for replacement I'm happy to do it.

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I still have to do that on one of my tractors!

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  7. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I think the argument is that snub braking heats the brakes less in the long run and uses less materiel

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    still do carry a 9/16 and new fangled special tool for adjusting brakes because so many "mechanics" can't properly adjust or service brakes. Had a chassis recently that showed an annual completed 2 months earlier, the brakes were out of adjustment and adjusters were all rusted. Took two hours of grease and penetrating oil to get them to move so we could adjust them and grease them some more.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Hammer166 and F4T6UY Thank this.
  10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Not really, either way you're looking at roughly equivalent energy dissipation (provided the average speed is the same,) and thus fairly equivalent temps and wear. The argument for snubbing was to ensure all the brakes were doing their part of the work.

Bean Jr. and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I think that was only half the argument
    Snub braking gets the area of the drum that contacts the pad to a higher temp than constant pressure , this is true
    But
    We have several things working for us now.
    One is that the higher the temperature differential between the brake drum and the ambient air temp, the faster the relative cooling
    So once you let off the brakes, some of that heat soaks into the steel brake drum but a good portion is also able to dissipate into the air
    This cooling phase is the most important part of snub braking.

Bean Jr. and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.