I'm tired of being over the road. Need a local job. Merry Christmas everyone!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Prodriver96, Dec 11, 2017.

1. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Sears is still in business? I dont see how - I boycotted em nearly 20 years ago lol -

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Screw otr!!! There are plenty of local jobs that pay well depending on where and what you want to do.

bentstrider83 and Dumdriver Thank this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I always thought it was high, costs-of-living in the area brought about by the "tech thugs" swarming in from the coasts. As evidenced by my past posts, I've had plenty of job offers in the Denver metro from various, LTL companies. But wasn't really interested in returning to CA-like, rents and vehicle registration.
    I still might do it one of these days, but I'm going to wait until my $800/mo pickup truck payment is done(long, complicated story there) and then go car-free again(I'll keep my motorcycle though) when I decide on it.
    Got to cut out the additional expenses some how. And I never was much of car/pickup person to begin with.

As for the local gigs, also keep an eye out for whomever is hauling groceries to the grocery stores in a particular area. I put in about two years of long haul. After I searched around and found a daycab position, there was no turning back after that.
    I run into guys who've been stuck in a sleeper doing 48 state, non dedicated runs that consistently gripe about it. Yet 10-20 years in and still feel like they're trapped.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Put them in the trailer.

Woodys and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  6. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I didn't know Rolls-Royce made pickup trucks...!! :eek:

(Just bustin' on ya. I know we all have our unique circumstances, but I'd love to hear WTF led to that! )

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    They'd eat the load. And then most of the trailer.

Dumdriver and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I guarantee you get more sleep working OTR. I work local, today was nice, 620 miles and two stops. Then pick the kids up from school and daycare, go to bed for five hours on average. Then I have four stops tomorrow, and only about 450 miles. I tell myself I will get back early and take a nap, and it NEVER happens. It seems the days I am running ahead, a receiver wants to take two hours to unload twenty mins worth of product.

Good luck OP. Don’t let my depressing reality discourage you. You might land a good gig that pays top dollar for only 8 hours work.

JReding, Cardfan89 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    A little bit of dealer deception, a little bit of being "taken for a ride". Throw some "being underwater" in there and now you've got this fine mess. Hard lessons learned and end of the line for vehicle ownership reached. As I said, once I've got this thing paid off, I'm done getting anymore vehicles. Back to renting cars, Lyft's, and of course just using my motorcycle for non-bicycle-able trips.

10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    At least you learned something and made up your mind to Not Do That Again, as opposed to 98% of America today...!

spyder7723 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.