I'm tired of being over the road. Need a local job. Merry Christmas everyone!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Prodriver96, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I always said local is no different. It's all consuming. You just have a bigger sleeper ( bedroom ). But I'll say 50% of the time you have 10 off from the time you close the door to the cab on the truck. Drive home, do the home thing, drive back. It's still all consuming. I worked so many hours at one place, if I didn't have my Dad to look after, I'd bought a 5th wheel and just set up house at the yard, not kidding.

shogun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @Dave_in_AZ

Truer words were never spoken. If I didn’t have kids it would be so much easier. I can’t go to sleep before 8 or 9 since they are young and carrying on. I take ZERO breaks at work except for the forced 30 min at a receiver. I am always racing the clock, trying to make it back at a certain time to get them from school. So having to spend twenty mins extra today finding a bolt to replace on a landing gear support was only possible since I left out even earlier than normal (and since I carry tools).

Tomorrow I may start out with a flat tire I need to air up, then get to one of my stops with one receiving door and have to wait. Then get to a stop that’s on break, or maybe the dock is full and there is no room to stage my product. Always an adventure local.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can you relocate to your parents basement?

5. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    This is why I always try to live at most a bicycle rides's distance away from the given job. Get a listing of apartments in the area, see what the costs are, and then try to nail something as I nail the job.
    Some people may be desensitized to it, but I never got the mentality of some people driving 2-3 hours, one way, to work and then spend time at work, and then do it all over again just for housing affordability. This is a usual occurrence where I was originally from in CA. People would relocate from the LA basin up to the Victorville area due to gentrification, but held onto their high paying job where they formerly resided since no viable employment was available locally. Whatever money was saved up in rent/mortgage costs got quickly devoured by fuel, car breakdowns, and of course, time.
    Yeah, you got to do what you got to do. But I also believe some things just become no longer worth doing once it begins to slowly kill you. Exit strategy planning time then.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ups opened up new terminals this fall. Publix is constantly building new dcs. Either one would be great local company driver positions.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  7. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Dump trucking is good too

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A bit monotonous, but I’d do it if I had to.

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I was about 25 minutes with no traffic. If you got in WTF traffic for whatever variety of reasons, could be an hour.
    You're not getting much closer without barbed wire ringing your yard.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Eat dust all day. I watched those guys. Nobody lives past 60 lol.

GenericUserName and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Oh not a bit monotonous at all! It can get down right exciting. You're thinking of triaxles I'm talking tractor trailer big difference more adventures!

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.