I'm waiting for the class action lawsuits...

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Scooter Jones, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    Interesting post. I'm driving a 2019 T680

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
  4. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    How about this: Mandate that truck manufacturers install ELD devices in each new truck. Problem solved. Have them installed in the dash and ready to roll. Then provide an access code to the owner/companies. If they can install bluetooth devices, GPS, camera devices, lane control devices, they should be able to handle this.

5. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    After my last post I thought for a few minutes and believe this will be the future. I expect built in ELDs, Built in GPS, Built in Cameras, and on and on. Technology is advancing so rapidly that this middle/old aged guy can't keep up. But I keep on trying.

6. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    The more electronic they push on truck the more problem the new truck have

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  7. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    That's true, but nothing we can do to change it. Technology advancements are not going to stop.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That'll never happen, because there are too many companies running too many different systems and they all have their own back-end systems that are not compatible.

Besides, that's half the problem with new vehicles...distracted driving is a huge problem, and yet they're building all sorts of distractions into the vehicles. If a driver needs all of this crap in order to be "safe", perhaps he shouldn't be driving.

9. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Well said

10. OT John

OT John Bobtail Member

May 6, 2019
    I have not seen any ECMs got smoked over an electronic log. I have seen install techs screw the pooch.
    The 2019 and 2020 trucks all have a new connection separate from the 9 pin data port. its an RP1226 connection. In dealing with some of the OEMs and working with Volvo, it boils down to service techs and the onboard cell link that transfers sensor info, the OEMs dont want competition for the data link.

I am not sure how long before they change it again. The Cascadia removed the can bus (1939) off of the 9-pin in 2017. All OEM have gone to the RP1226 for 2019.

There have been rumors of the OEM going to a device that you pair with (tablet, phone, other) and choose your ELD provider. I have not seen any evidence of that yet.

As one fellow stated, ECMs are pretty resilient devices.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.