I'm wondering if anybody has any good or bad information about driveaway companies

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by speed12, Jun 24, 2012.

1. carolina wildman

carolina wildman Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Anybody interested in doing drive away tow away. Your success will be relative to your trucking experience and your abilty to manage your time and money. Remember as a contractor the Company cannot legally give any help or advice. They cannot provide you with equipment. They can't tell you what to do. They can't tell you when to start or stop working. By contract you are a contract driver. The large majority don't even check to see if you really know what your doing. Most companies are looking for a fresh peice of meat with a valid CDL and clean driving record. And some ####### who will sign the most one sided contract there is.

You don't just have to be able to drive all types of equipment. You really have an advantage if you know the mechanical workings. In most cases if you have a breakdown you will be forgotten put off to rediculous delays while an educated idiot makes an "executive decision", you'll know it's an "executive decision" because it will be something totally stupid. And don't worry, you may receive as much as minimum wage for your time. IF YOU GET PAID AT ALL!!!!. I contract to move trucks. Not to do breakdowns. If I can make the truck run I make it run. I've replaced batteries, fuel filters, serpentine/v belts, water pumps ect.. I can generally do this in less time that dispatch can send/arrange for help. I have dispatch send an e-mail or text confirming payment for parts. And, in a few cases I've submitted a bid to do the repairs and gotten paid for parts and labor.
    I don't recommend this unless you really know what your doing. I've built trucks and trailer from one end to the other. I've been an owner operator and a fleet owner. When I quit running the road in 1980 I had ran every mile of Interstate that had been paved and open to the public in the USA. Countless 2 lanes and even dirt roads. Worked in every major city in the continental US, Nova scotia and several towns/cities in Canada.

You need the experience that gives you the ability to recognize when the dispatcher is about to screw you. You need to know directions, which ones pay and which ones you will loose your ### on. As a contractor you should be provided with complete information. Lots of luck. The less information dispatch gives you is usually an indication that their giving you a raw deal. You'll be lucky to get the correct phone numbers and contacts for origin and destination. You need to know what type/make of truck they want you to move. P/U and del times are critical (it can cost you a days work). You need to know if the tractors are single or tandem axles. Sleepers or day cabs. If you do a single axle tractor or C/C make sure your dental insurance is paid up. These trucks can beat the hell out of you. These trucks are designed to go down the road loaded. Not bobtailing. And you will eventually compact the disc in your lower back. I know, I've already had back surgery for this. Oh yea, did I mention I've been driving trucks since 1964. Too #### long. I could go on and on.

If you're really smart/creative and know the business, you can make good money doing this. But, you have to except the fact that you are a dumb ### piece of ####. You have little or no leverage. And everyone you come in contact with is trying to #### YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well maybe only 99% of them. Again, lots of luck. Your going to need it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, I forgot to mention one important thing. When that dispatcher tells you they will make it up to you on the next trip/load. You have just heard the most common/biggest lie ever told in the trucking industry. There is no such thing as making it up to you. You either make on every trip or you don't.

Speedy Sailor and vmw545 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lone Star Driver

Lone Star Driver Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2019
    You know what you're doing!!! You see this is the kind of response I was looking for. Someone who is smart enough to sign up with various companies so that you ALWAYS have your next trip lined up no matter where you are at. Very smart guy here.

4. Lone Star Driver

Lone Star Driver Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Use your head! Just like this guy and like I have been doing. I'm new to this, but I quickly figured out that as an independent contractor, as an owner operator you are the boss. Act like it! I always counter the offers sent to get the most I can out of the load. I always do all my math before countering any load. I always time my trips and select my own route so that I can visit family and friends on the way (and spend the night if possible). Also I always look for the cheapest and fastest routes back home before selecting my loads. If it doesn't make sense I leave it alone. I am now working on getting on board with several other driveaway companies so that I'm always making money. Crusader you are one very intelligent individual! Cheers

5. vmw545

vmw545 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2021
    I am new here and can't seem to find a good company. I worked for a couple but was terminated for not going through DOT inspection in a non cdl truck. Was told I didnt have to. Passed inspection and was just given a warning for not stopping but once a new company pulls my record and sees the warning, Im denied work. Im great at transporting vehicles and getting from place to place but cant seem to get ahead now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.