Impossible runs given by dispatch, cannot make appoinment time.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by thelinedriver, Dec 6, 2022.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    "Other drivers do it". They do, too. Most of them don't do it for very long, though. The old style balls to the wall drive all day and all night pill popping truck driver is almost a thing of the past. It should be.
    Anybody that thinks those were the "good old days" or wishes they could drive like that obviously weren't around when we did drive like that.
    There were six of us who started driving about the same time in the late 60s. In the first two years four of them were killed in wrecks that were deemed to be fatigue and/or drug related.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    Nailed it. Well said.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I used to run 4200ish miles in 7 days fairly regularly... Idahofalls, ID - Lima, OH - Frankfort, KY - Helena, MT - Idahofalls, ID...

I once ran 2300 miles in 3 shifts... Idahofalls, ID - Rupert, ID - Columbus, OH - Charlettsville, VA

Both of these examples were done in a 67 MPH truck. So your 2000ish miles is very doable... Keep the left door shut and be ready to run as soon as that 10 hours clicks over.

5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol, when I was OTR if I wasnt getting AT LEAST 600 miles a day I felt like I was wasting time. I usually ran about 685 to 695 miles a day, sometimes more.

Thrasher28 Thanks this.
  6. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    Istill do what i have to on paper yet

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    For example:
    Our manager has never been in a truck in her life. Biggest thing she's ever been in is her Mustang convertible. She looks at Google maps & says... "It says its 5 hrs to the drop, you can make that".
    My policy is, I attempt to explain to her twice.... thats it, twice... that Google maps is for Mustang convertibles, not an 18 wheeler, that's heavy, slow from take off, stopping & in general traffic etc, & only runs 68 mph .... MAX.. not constant... at MAX.
    After I attempt to explain to her twice that it aint possible, from that point forward, I just tell her "ok", get my paperwork & when it gets there, it gets there.

There's a lot more to it than: here's your paperwork & you're instantly on the road with no limitations.
    Got to check out the truck,
    find the trailer,
    check the trailer & load, do paperwork, tablet etc,
    30 minutes later, your on the road... IF there are no other issues that you have to attend do. (Jockey dropped trailer too low, trailer door wont close right & you need a hammer to get it locked, low tire that someone left you that needs to be aired up etc, etc.

35 mph through town, with 8 red lights & a 100 car train before you get to interstate.
    60 mph until you get out of town.
    stop & go traffic for 2 miles due to an accident or road construction
    Fuel, bathroom, coffee, drink, ice & sweet bread for breakfast
    You've already burned over an hour of that 5 hr Google map estimate & haven't really gotten started yet. In reality, I'm still basically 5 1\2 hrs from my stop at 68 in a 70 - 75 mph interstate speed limit that Google didn't take into account.

It aint as simple as Google maps & a Mustang convertible & 8 above the posted speed limit.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Lonesome, bryan21384 and Coover Thank this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    600 miles isn't a record setting day, but it is a number that you know for sure you can achieve in an 11 hr shift on elogs. I tend to think long hauls aren't about how many miles you can drive in a day, but how well you pace yourself and utilize your time. Me personally, I don't always take 30 min and 10 hr breaks and leave exactly when it's time to roll, but I never feel rushed. I always divide the miles of a long with days given. I'm not a hurry up and wait type of trucker. I prefer to pace myself and have some balance, especially since my company believes in recaps so much.

Thrasher28 Thanks this.
  9. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Definitely agree with that. Depends on drop and hook versus live load/unload too, as well as conditions. It also depends on which direction I’m headed because of time zones. It’s not that I mind driving at night, but if I have time to spare, I’ll add a couple hours to my 10 somewhere along the way if I’m headed west across the country. If I start out at 3am in Eastern time, I’ll be starting at 9pm by the time I get to Cali and have to wait for the warehouse to open at 6am anyways. I prefer going West to East because the start time usually only gets 30min-1hr earlier every day. I have a young bladder and hate mid day truck stop traffic, so I usually only take the mandatory 30, which means it’s about 22 hours for each drive/rest cycle

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    So did you make it?

11. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I’m the opposite. I get to the destination as quickly as possible and never take even a minute extra on time off. The reason is if something goes wrong, like a flat tire, or dead alternator, I can fix it and not be late for my delivery. I park at receiver or as close as possible as early as possible.

If I do as you suggested you do, and I dilly dally so I arrive at receiver just 30 minutes early, and notice a flat tire 200 miles away, you are screwed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.