Impressions of recruiters at TDI

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MericanMade, Jan 8, 2020.

1. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I always thought Schneider was a crap company, but Ol' Gary, our 78 year old instructor whose been driving for a very long time, drove for them and had a lot of good things to say about them. Pay didn't look bad as long as you get the miles. Big IF right there, though.

The recruiter started putting down TMC's home time. Said they're only going to get you home long enough for a 34 hr reset. He then bragged that Schneider will get you home, guaranteed, six days a month, and you get to pick the days. I asked him if his definition of a "day" was a 24 hour period. He said it did.

So that's 144 hours home each month compared to 136. "We'll get you home more."

He started and ended his presentation by basically saying that anything that came out of his mouth may or may not be true (not in those exact words), and that we should do our own research. :confused::eek:

We'll see what the TMC recruiter says. ;)

The only other carriers representing is Werner and U.S. Xpress. I'd consider a Dollar Tree dedicated run.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One driver on here went to TDI Milton and was hired by CTL Transportation the day he graduated.
    CTL Transportation - Comcar Industries, Inc. Liquid ...
    CTL Transportation is the liquid chemical truckload subsidiary of Comcar. We offer top pay in the industry, more than 10 cents per mile higher for all running miles – Operates 160 Mack trucks –
    You can run between 2500 to 3500 miles a week and be home every 7 to 10 days
    CTL Transportation - Comcar Industries, Inc. Liquid Chemical Truckload

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Those companies will always be running to scoop up the fresh meat in truck driving schools. When I started, we had reps from Werner and TMC come in. Depending on your location, you can find other companies that offer training that fall under the rookie radar

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Every company with any sort of dollar store account is always hiring because they are always firing. New drivers can't back, hit things backing into small and difficult dollar stores, get warned, hit something else, get fired.

Dollar type stores are not a good fit for new drivers with poor backing skills. Also, new drivers avoid backing so they probably will be out of the industry before they learn to back. Pulling thru and parking along the curb, for some reason, doesn't improve your backing skill. Crazy, huh?

sirhwy, x1Heavy, MericanMade and 2 others Thank this.
  6. tscottme

Please understand, the companies recruiting at schools are not necessarily better to work for or suitable companies for brand new drivers. The fact a company is recruiting inside the CDL school means nothing about the quality of that company or that school. IMO, it just means the company is desperate for new drivers because they can't keep other drivers. Newbies that do no research tend to work for one of the companies making school presentations, because it's easier than picking a company.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Recruiters see FRESH MEAT by the dozen in them trucking schools.

Students who know NOTHING. Unable to discern pearls of wisdom or simply choke on the babbly bubbly BS spewing out of recruiters mouth.

Essentially the recruiter is to be treated as the Pied Piper. Leading all the gullible children into the side of the hill to be gone forever to the sorrow of all the parents who raised them.

I simply roar one word at the recruiter. BS. They and I do not get along anymore no matter who it is.

I have talked to maybe two who seem to be on track with facts but having them is extremely rare. And this industry is infested with showboats who will be sideshow barkers inciting the poor students to step aside and pay good money to be bearded by the lady.

Grouch Thanks this.
  8. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Believe me, I've been doing my research (for three years now). There are other companies that I have spoken to that take new drivers, but don't recruit out of schools. Three of them look promising.

Don't worry, I'm waiting for the right opportunity. My phone is starting to ring again, so I may remodel kitchens through the spring, then jump on board the right carrier when my savings are back to a good level and remodeling slows down like it always does over the summer.

dwells40, tscottme and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. tscottme

You have no idea how much your research will pay off one day. If you pick wisely, it will still be difficult at times, but you will have so much less difficulty and avoid some real dilemmas. The best thing you can do is get in touch with drivers working at the company and doing the type of work you are getting hired to do. Make the company have drivers contact you, if you have to.

What's is your week like (miles/days gone)
    What's a decent pay for that week
    What's your typical weekend (34 ours only, or 48+)
    Do you pick your route, or forced route
    Do you pick fuel stops, or forced fuel
    How tight are schedules (go,go,go or on-time unless you screw up)
    Is it a battle to have truck fixed or not
    I live in X town, is getting to X hard or easy for the company
    How long have you been with company (longer = better)

10. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    It looks like there may not be any opportunities for rookie drivers getting into tankers. Groendyke and CTL no longer hire new drivers.

Haven’t heard back from Service Transport Lines after formally applying yesterday. I did talk to a recruiter who told me to check back late January/early February, so that’s better than a flat out ‘no.’

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CAREER OPPORTUNITIES | tidewater-transit
    https://www.tidewater-transit.com/career-opportunities
    Tidewater Transit offers more than employment opportunities, we present career opportunities. We employ professional drivers, admin assistants, dispatchers, mechanics and wash bay personnel as well as operational, safety and sales professionals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.