In over my head??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Soundx3Soljah, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Soundx3Soljah

Soundx3Soljah Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Howdy y’all. I have a question...

About five years ago I got my CDL via a trucking school out in California. Long story short the labor company I was working for at the time went under and I was granted some money to go back to school. Trucking school was at the top of the list so I just said hell and took it. I went to work at Swift for six months but hated the low pay and eventually quit. I got back in to construction and never looked back til very recently.

I’ve been looking for a new job recently just because my body is tired of manual labor. I posted my resume online and attached to it is my class A. I get a call from a guy who says because I’ve been “licensed” for two or more years he can and wants to hire me for a dry van class A run. Cross country, FL to AZ 2500 miles one way. He doesn’t want to road test or train me, and says he can put me in a truck by myself right away. The pay is good for somebody with only six months of experience from five years ago. It’s more than I make now in labor and way way more than I ever made at Swift.

Sorry for the rant but my question is basically am I in over my head to accept this without recent experience and with no additional training or guidance? What are some issues I could run in to? And would it be worth it to just go back to the low paying companies who train for a little while instead?? I’ve heard horror stories about inexperienced drivers messing up so bad their lives and careers are over. I did well when I was at Swift and had the pay been better I would have stayed. But I’m realistic in the sense that I know I’m not very experienced. Thanks for the advice!!

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does the job offer pay 1099 or W-2?
    Get more details. What's the name of the company; maybe someone on here has some information.
    Abilene Motor Express will probably hire you and put you through a proper refresher course. This company hires lots of drivers in your situation. @JohnBoy is a trainer there and can give you details. It's a coast to coast outfit.
    Nationwide Motor Freight Company | Abilene Motor Express
    https://www.abilenemotor.com

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    My advice is go legal.
    By not road testing you one has to wonder what other legal corners he's cutting. Is it a 1099? If so, another way he's not legal.
    And there are very much more options than going to a low paying mega. Unfortunately you will be treated like any other new driver by any company out there, but that doesn't mean treated like a serf either.
    What is your location? Do you have a preference of the type of work? (van, flatbed, dry bulk, hazmat?) Got any hits on your MVR?
    Answer those and a very helpful person named @Chinatown will be around with tons of suggestions.

5. Soundx3Soljah

Jan 4, 2020
    The Job is based in California and pays with a W-2. I was offered a 1099 once in my life for construction and it was the stupidest decision I ever made so that was the first question I asked. I should clarify that although he didn’t give me an actual “road test” he did make me drive around the block with him just to make sure I didn’t take out any light posts or pedestrians lol. I guess that counts? Although it was nothing like the one I took at Swift or for the DMV. The thing is my over head is high I can’t really afford to go back for lots of training at an extremely low wage. My MVR is clean and aside from a lack of recent OTR I don’t have anything in my background that could be considered troublesome. I would like to make this work but I guess I’m just second guessing myself because it seems a little too good to be true based on my luck of recent experience. I have no endorsements but was told by DMV I could add some without having to road test when my renewal comes at the end of the year. Is it worth it to just wait till the end of the year to return to trucking with those endorsements? Would my options really be more expanded with them?? Or would my lack of recent experience still be an issue??

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Does sound like he's trying to be legal, which is good. Also yes, that's about what to expect for a new hire road test. Some places more, some less but it's basically just going around the block to make sure you don't hit anything.

It will be a lifestyle change, so if you are prepared for that I'd say go for it. In all honesty, as long as you watch going down hills and don't speed you will be fine. When backing get out and look as needed and don't let impatient drivers push you to hurry. All hurrying does is get you to the wreck faster.
    Take a couple hundred in cash, so if the worst happens you can hop a greyhound home, other than that go for it.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    "I get a call from a guy who says because I’ve been “licensed” for two or more years he can and wants to hire me for a dry van class A run. Cross country, FL to AZ 2500 miles one way. He doesn’t want to road test or train me, and says he can put me in a truck by myself right away."

So, sight unseen as it were, he is offering you a job with your limited experience and not having been in a truck for that long a time?

Shady, if you ask me.

Is this guy having a hard time hiring experienced drivers?
    Or just a hard time retaining them.

okiedokie, Upinsmoke, dosgatos and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Soundx3Soljah

Jan 4, 2020
    ... Yeah he mentioned something about assembly bill 5 and told me now everyone who drives for him is on a W-2 now so I’m guessing that before he might have ran 1099s. I would never make that mistake again, I’m still paying the IRS for it. I guess I’m just more worried about being in states I’ve never been before (only drove 11 west with Swift) and being out there by myself. Appreciate the advice, thank you!

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  9. Soundx3Soljah

Jan 4, 2020
    I have no idea tbh. His equipment is newer (2018) and automatic and it’s literally a straight shot route from AZ to FL then back the same way up through California. I’ll get a better idea of what to expect on my first run I guess. The way he sold it to me is that he likes to hire drivers without recent experience or with very little experience because they don’t yet have “bad habits” and he doesn’t have to pay them as highly, but the pay is still a lot higher than I’d make at Swift so idk?

Upinsmoke and Coffey Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Don't be afraid of that route to Florida and Back in the southern Winter roads when there are no storms about. You might get a occasional snow that is coming in a couple of days for you and maybe a southern ice storm now and then.

Ive been running air conditioning in Arkansas last couple of weeks. Too warm for that.

Your trip planning should be including a alternative place to park your sleeper time perhaps a few hours early. You will need to build your stamina but you essentially are being handed a gravy run. The unknowns is if you will be empty in 15 minutes or have to go back into the trailer and lump 48000 yourself. Or wait hours. You will find all that out in time.

2500 miles each way is not so shabby. If it's regular then you should be in a good position. It should not be that intense as it might be.

You probably will drop down to I-20 if you havent already and maybe down to I-10 before florida. Biloxi will be your traffic jam and Louisana I-20 would be broken concrete if they havent yet repaved that #### thing. Otherwise there is I-40 Shrugs. If you are able to get out of AZ on 20 or 10 you will be having a nice run with the exception of possibly the stretch to Elpaso Texas. (Don't ever stop there if you can help it... we never did)

You want to get off 40 and work down to the coast before you hit Texas if possible. Arkansas and others are interdiction states. Our weigh scales and so forth are busy. And traffic always screws up the interstate at all hours of the day, sometimes for a second day before they get around to clearing it away.

Just be in Florida when you need to by date and time you are told to. Companies like quiet drivers who are on time.

stuckinthemud and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  11. Soundx3Soljah

Jan 4, 2020
    excellent post thank you. Yeah I’m running 40 all the way to Amarillo, then down through Dallas and on through LA, MS, Floribama and the panhandle and then down to Tampa. It’s all dry van and no touch I asked and the fact that I won’t have to chain was a major plus I can’t even lie

Upinsmoke and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.