in the truck cooking......

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by mickeyrat, Sep 25, 2016.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I use a 3,000 watt pure sine wave inverter. I have a microwave, coffee maker and a single burner induction cook top.
    I have done bacon and eggs in the microwave, but I like them better in the frying pan on the induction cook top. Also have fried up steak while sitting in line at the canola plant.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    How do you guys keep the food and grease smell out of your truck?

That's why I use a propane grill outdoors to many odors cooking in the truck now don't get me wrong when I'm hungry it smells great but once I've eaten it's kinda overpowering.

mickimause and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Don't use grease, don't fry stuff. I use a 12 v fan wedged in the pass window to draw out smoke and odors. Spray of frbreeze takes care of the rest when done.

mickimause Thanks this.
  5. Joec111

Joec111 Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2016
    mickimause, 91B20H8 and MysticHZ Thank this.
  6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    What size inverter do you have?

I just sit my on the tv cabinet & it doesn't move. I use a small bungie to hold the lid down.

7. Joec111

Joec111 Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Don't forget the crock pot liners with the paper kitchen goods, like paper towels at Walmart, then no washing the pot only lid

mickimause, SingingWolf and RStewart Thank this.
  8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yep, we use the little liner bags.

Joec111 Thanks this.
  9. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    This is going to be challenging.

Challenge #1. Portion control.

I tend to cook like my grandmother. When she would make dinner she made enough so that each person had enough leftovers to last them the rest of the week. The comments usually ran along the lines of; "...geez you made enough for the whole neighborhood"

Challenge #2: Simplifying meals.

When I cook I tend to make elaborate dishes because I enjoy doing it. Things like Bruschetta Stuffed Chicken, Citrus Chicken Stir fry, French Toast with peach sauce and whipped cream with fruit folded into it, My Glazed Turkey with hand made stuffing.....the list goes on and on. These are just a few of the "bigger production" meals I make and they're all made from scratch. They also happen to be the meals I turn to the most when cooking.....which is probably why I don't cook very often these days.

Most of what is listed there have lots of ingredients and would probably be difficult to prep or cook from raw in the truck. Guess I'm going to have to start approaching my cooking from a different angle to either A. Make some of my dishes more transportable, or B. come up with some new ones which ought to be fun too.

mickimause, Friday and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You need to follow the blue apron method - prep and proportion at home then do the final cooking at the truck.

11. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Agreed. But some things just don't transport well. lol. I think I'm going to have to start designing more soups and stews as well as things that can sit in the crock to warm or finish.

91B20H8 and RStewart Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.