In trouble if I damaged co property with co truck on co time

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Localtrucker1234, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Depending on State laws, demanding employees ‘pay’ for damage while on the job, can be a sticky wicket for the company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Localtrucker1234

Localtrucker1234 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2022
    I called my state department of labor they said I legally could not be help countable for anything unless I signed that I would pay. Also if they hold my check I can file a complaint with the department of labor to get my pay check that is owed for work that I did.

4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Get that in writing from the state
    Hand it to the company if they ask you to pay for it

after you find another job , take a two week vacation from your current job and start at the new place . And then when your last check arrives , tell
    The old company you’re quitting .

find and start a new job before you leave the old one
    Otherwise trucking companies will work hard to ruin your reputation so you can’t get another job

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Is this a 1099 job?

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Bro, that is 100 percent on you. I mean no harm, but the door didn't break itself. If you knew the hooks were faulty, that's when you take precautions to miniseries the potential for situations like that. I certainly had to learn those hard lessons. There are times as a driver where you just gotta go into business for yourself and rig up equipment. Another member said keep bungies handy. That's a good idea. I'm of the mind frame if you break it, then you gotta replace it. It just seems like the right thing to do. I keep that mind frame because I don't like to have pay for my foul ups.

7. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    This is your fault. They may not be able to force you to pay, but it’s your fault.

8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The new company will call the old company for a reference during the hiring process. They are required to do so. The big mega carriers got this written into the regulations so that drivers can't do what you are suggesting. It amounts to a de facto black list.

9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Depending on State laws, calling for reference, can only verify employment timeframe, and job title or classification.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    !st, Federal regulation trumps state law. Federal regulation says they must disclose all safety related items.
    2nd, There is not a single state law that actually prevents a former employer from saying anything (truthful) about the employee. (If for no other reason than 1st amendment, free speech protections.) There are laws that prevent lying, yes, but if it's true they can say anything they want. Most companies have a policy to only give name/dates/legal requirements, but that's more so they don't find themselves in a court defending themselves than any legal requirement.

11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The point I was responding to is that you can't apply for another job without your current employer finding out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.