Income???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by philjo, Dec 22, 2008.

1. philjo

philjo Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Indiana
    New guy here with a question or two...

Ive been looking at starting a new career in trucking and Im wondering what the average income is for OTR drivers. Ive been getting info. from (P.A.M., USA Truck, England) to name a few, but Id rather get facts from real people. What I gather from yalls sight, these arent the best companies to work for but their willing to hire newbies and send them to school. If anyone knows of better companies who are willing to do the same, please let me know. Im a hard woking fella who doesnt appreciate being taken advantage of.

Ideally in 1-3yrs. Id like to land a local route to be home much more often if not every night because of kids, is that a realistic possibility?

One more....Why is leasing not the way to go? Are the expenses much more than what they let you believe.

I dont know much of the lingo, so pretend your talking to your kids.:biggrin_25525:

Big Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slingblade07

slingblade07 Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    with those big companies would say 30-36k /yr

4. millertime

millertime Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2008
    milwaukee, wisconsin
    It would be helpful if you guys could list the average miles you run in a week, or month. I also am looking hard into this with the ultimate goal after driving for a company for a few years of becoming an o/o before I turn 30. The industry has obviously taken a huge hit with the economy, but is this something that a guy can still make an honest decent living on?

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Well, miles have dropped quite a bit lately all over. It would be best to delay entering the industry right now.

Under normal situations, you could easily run 2500 to 3000 miles a week.

Lease deals are a rip due to the high payments and miles usually start dropping the closer you get to the end of your lease.

Going local after 1 to 3 years can happen, as that is the usual experience range required by local outfits. You may get lucky and find one that doesn't require as much experience, but those are rare.

6. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    What is your current job? how much do you make? If your living well, paying the bills on time, having enough food on the table, at the end of the month money left over to have fun. Then why would want to get into a industry that treats you like !## doesn't pay worth a dam, charges you for idling your truck, expect you to sit sit sit on your dime not theirs. There is a whole bunch or reasons why not to get into now just read all the threads here and you will see why if you have a stable job, with good income, then stay put especially when the economy sucks right now. When it looks like the economy is doing better and you want to try something else then yes go for it. But you should wait IMO until your kids are grown up and out of the house.

7. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    dd5 is absolutely right. The biggest reasons I got into trucking (still a trainee) are:
    My kids are grown, I have wanted to do trucking for almost 30 years and I have only worked 3 months this year after being unable to re-enter my former telecom field.
    I looked at trucking for the second time almost 15 years ago, but I had good, stable job and my kids were a lot younger.
    Think hard about jumping in and if the time is not right now, and the dream is still burning later, you will get in at some point down the road.

Good luck! Bill

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  8. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    I would suggest you check if any of the local Community Colleges offer a CDL course, and get your class A that way. Then in the spring when and if the construction starts to pickup, find a redi mix company that hauls their own rock and sand, and get a job there. It will give you big truck experience and maybe down the road they will switch you over to the end dumps. Plus you are home every night,but they are usually 10 hour+ days.
    I am hauling concrete pipe on a flatbed and of the 12 drivers we have, there are only 4-5 that done the OTR thing. It was the same way when I was driving the end dump. There are other ways. Lumber companies and construction companies are other paths that can take you to the big truck,without living in the dang thing.
    Go out and make personal visits to companies you are interested in. Talk to drivers and the person that does the hiring. Find out all the info about the company you can, check their web page, this shows interest and inititive.

9. kev_ja_kar

kev_ja_kar Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Gresham, OR
    In my experience if your looking at trucking as a way to earn a paycheck, your going to hate it and waste your money. I have seen many drivers come into this business because they thought the money was good, only to find out that the money really doesn't compensate for the loss of home time and hobby time. The only one's who make it out here are the one's that aren't in it for the paycheck. I hate to sound harsh, but this isn't a job it is a life style... and your paychecks won't cover the misery of never being home, you have to love this life to live it.
    The exception to this rule is ex-military, for some reason those who have been abused by our government can and do make it through the tough times and eventually land that dream local job. Of course, it's a grave yard shift, but it's local.

jlkklj777 and Wiseguywireless Thank this.
  10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    In a nutshell. I was on track to make well over $53k this year. Home almost every weekend, until the past 2 or 3 months. Loads have fell off so much. I might break $49k

Most people I see here are saying they are lucky to get 2500 miles a week. I've been averaging slightly more than that when I'm OTR. Even though I have sat some.

As a new driver, you might normally make 40-45k your first year. Some pay more, others less. Be careful in your choices.

Realistically, if you're looking to trucking as a means to stem the tide in a weak economy. Asking a company to pay for your training is a waste of money. Especially if you can scrape by on what you make now.

There is a tidal wave of "new" drivers looking for jobs. All looking to trucking to save their butts during this economic downturn. The more that come, the lower the pay will get. Companies are already freezing and reducing pay for incoming drivers.

I will not be surprised to see companies paying as low as .22 a mile for a first year driver, by mid summer of 2009

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  11. bowmeyer1

bowmeyer1 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    well i for one am staying positive... i have no other choice.. and while i dont doubt anything said on this post i have to remain optimistic. it can only get better. (unless armageddon happens) but i have seen and heard enough on this site already to turn away 50-75% of people and sorry i have no other choices (right now) already did the McDonalds scene back in the mid-eighties and me daddy said to never go backwards always forwards. this profession might not pay what ( i hope ) or turn out the way i think. but im not going backwards to McDonalds this is just another stepping stone in life and for me everythings payed off so i can play a year or two ( hopefully meet lots of new friends ) and hope for a tanker job in two years if i dont crash and burn. if not i'll beat the "lilone" and become a drunk...lol :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.