Industry in Canada is too far gone...

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Dec 8, 2021.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    So the HOS don't stop me from doing something unsafe? Laws don't make people safe, choices do. No, I wouldn't do something like that and the fact that it's against the law means literally nothing to me. I don't do it because it's the wrong thing to do. I don't need the government to make my decisions for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    It's called loss eversion. " I have a terrible deal but I wanted to atleast offer it to you before that other guy."
    He'll I can't let the other guy get the chance to take it, I'm all in!!

That's why when you talk to a load broker they always have trucks lined up to take loads for the rate you just laughed at.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  4. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    NorthEastTrucker and bark77 Thank this.
  5. roddy55

roddy55 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2021
    You guys are missing the big picture; 'deregulation'.
    Bottom line is that post deregulation is run for the benefit of the shippers. Shippers want there cargo delivered asap! Its the shippers that lobby the government to set the HOS rules to maximum limits! I drove before we had Log Book rules and after they were implemented.
    Yes there were times when drivers did excessive hours! But that was rare.
    Most drivers shut down around 12 hours and took sleeper time wherever and whenever they needed it.
    Today if you're not up to it, you cant take the sleep time you need because we are trapped in the 16, 14 and 13 hour windows.
    With HOS drivers are pushed to the maximum hours. Every day!
    When trucking was regulated, you needed an 'operating authority'. Its called different thing in different provinces.
    In British Columbia, it was called Motor Carrier Commission located on Manor St in Burnaby BC.
    Generally your going to need a lawyer specializing in 'Motor Carrier Commission'. There are only a handful of lawyers who do this work.
    Guess who they work for?
    To obtain an 'operating authority' the carrier had to provide 'proof of need', the shipper and customers had to provide letters of support detailing why none of the existing carriers meet their requirements.
    Lower rates were not part of proof of need, it had to be service related.
    If you manage to get to this stage of application your doing good!
    Once your application is accepted by Motor Carrier Branch, an Inspector will be assigned to your application. The Inspector will verify information submitted and give his recommendations.
    Your prospective application is then placed in the Motor Carrier Branch 'gazette' for 60 days. Other carriers read your application and submit there comments to the Motor Carrier Branch.
    In my experience 90% of applications are outright rejected or need modifications...
    You can appeal to Motor Carrier Commission requesting a 'hearing' by the 'Motor Carrier Commission'.
    Its easier to buy an existing operating authority. Although the 'Operating Authority' itself is $42 dollars per year per vehicle and it states that license has no monetary value and can not be transfer or sold. They were able to be legally transferred to new owners for big money!
    The above process worked well. It allowed the big carriers to provide Class 1 regulated freight service, schedule and rates servicing the province. Most everything else were Class 3 'Charter Trips' licenses(no schedule and one customer at a time).
    Class 1 basically provides the big carriers with little competition and enough revenue to pay union wages to employees, good equipment maintenance and good service to customers. (Canadian Freightways, Motorways, Quick as Air, Van-Kam, Johnston Terminals, Greyhound and others).
    Its almost impossible to get a 'General Freight with unlimited consignees'.
    What you did was apply for a 'Limited Freight License' or Charter Trips. This authority allows you to pick up from one customer and unload at various locations specified in application. After several years and lot of lawyer fees I ended up with a Limited Freight Authority....

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    skipgears Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.