Inexperienced driver Signing a 1 year contract with company good or bad?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Simonpete, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Simonpete

Simonpete Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2021
    Hey yall,
    Im offered employment at a company who says I will work as trainee for 3 weeks + 3 months probation and would need to sign a 1 year contract with them. They will withhold $3200 if I decided to break my contract. Should I go for it? No company is willing to hire the new driver due to insurance requirements now a day. What's your input on this please share your thoughts. Thanks

bark77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Do you have a CDL?
    If so, run, don't walk away from this "deal" There are plenty of places that hire a no experience CDL driver that doesn't require a contract. From several megas, to even a few local companies here in my area.

Also, where do you live to give you places that hire?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    bark77 and austinmike Thank this.
  4. Simonpete

Simonpete Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2021
    Ok thanks for the info. Yes I have my AZ license. And im from Toronto area and have applied to alot of companies.. smaller to big and they require either 6 months to 1 year or select only certain schools graduates for example Challenger and bison said my school does not qualify.. been 3 months and have had no luck with jobs.

5. LewisH

LewisH Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2021
    I don't see it as a bad deal, I mean, you need experience and you are having trouble finding a company to start your career, so in MY opinion it's not that bad. Unless the conditions are horrible

Simonpete Thanks this.
  6. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    If you broke your one year contract at challenger you had to pay over $7000. I personally don't think $3200 is that bad compared to what we had to pay.

bark77 and Simonpete Thank this.
  7. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    i signed a 1 year with Arnold Brothers back in 2012. the very second it was up i was out the door. I didnt have to pay any money. Its one thing if they came after you for some money its another thing to make a hold back on a green driver thats no where near the top rate per mile. they say the money is to recoupe the cost of training and the higher insurance premium but i find that to be one sided. if the need for drivers is so dire then why would any one sign on if your going to pass that cost to the driver. I signed it because not only did they take you on but i completed a "mentorship" . I have personally seen people leave before the end of contract and they never chased them.

some of the "experienced" drivers carriers hire on have no business being on the road. mega carriers are not exempt of this.

good carriers do take new drivers, not just mega.

i am though concerned in what school you went to. if you went cheap its now where it is going to kill you.

put it to you this way....the hold back for my owner operator contract is less then what they are asking from you.

also think of this. make sure there is writing about you getting the money they have taken from you back when you complete it. and then think about who is collecting the interest on the $3200...because for that year its not you. and they can fire you at any time and that money is gone.

####ing run. dont settle and dont talk yourself into it being a good idea. because its not. run.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My question is how the #### can they withhold $3200? They didn't help you get your license. I'd tell them to stuff it up their ###.

9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    They do it because people keep signing contracts like this.

10. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    If this is highlight, i'm not suprised. They do a lot of illegal #### but when you file a claim with the federal labour board, you get that money back.

Magoo1968 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.