info on arrow

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by maddawg36432, Jan 25, 2007.

1. maddawg36432

maddawg36432 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2006
    im needing info on arrow. i was offered a job with them and with swift and with arrow and was wondering which is the best to work for. thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowpoke98908

Slowpoke98908 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yakima, WA
    I would guess Arrow would be better that Swift. But its all in what you want.

4. basscase_2000

basscase_2000 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Having driven for arrow, and having been hit by several swift drivers, I would choose Arrow.

Having said that, know that Arrow is not without it's problems. You will tarp nearly every load, You will be pressured into taking loads that are sometimes unsafe at best. You might get home when you need to, if requested early enough in advance, and anyone bothers to check your screen. And despite what they say, you will still just be a number to them. A piece of equipment to be used like a truck or trailer, but in a way that is what being a company driver is all about. You rent your services to them.

Of the companies I have worked for Arrow was the best until I became an O/O. Just don't go in buying the recruiters B.S. and you'll be fine

P.S. Regardless of what Arrow tells you, don't go regional, highest turnover at the company. No money, and longer hours than running 48 states. Also avoid the lease purchase like it is the Black Plague. Matt Gilbert heads the program, nice guy, but his hands are tied by the company. He tells you what they want him to. The money maker is the company, not the lease driver. I can tell you that from experience, having tried it myself for 6 months. I have heard the same from many other drivers at Arrow.

Good luck.

Drive-a-Mack Thanks this.
  5. maddawg36432

Dec 29, 2006
    arrow told me that there is a waiting list on regional. i live in south alabama, do they haul alot of frieght down in this area?

6. maddawg36432

Dec 29, 2006
    is there a waiting period to go to regional?

7. basscase_2000

basscase_2000 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Some area's there is a waiting list, but it will clear out soon. That is not really a good thing though, there isn't any money in it, and I would avoid it at all cost. At least with companies like arrow and such, regional is a waste of time and your money.

You will deadhead for free, spend all day waiting for a load that only runs 100 miles, and every load with arrow will be tarp.

If you have your heart set on regoinal, stick to van and haul for Roadway, Yellow, or something like that. Regional flatbed with a smaller company would be better financially.

With companies like arrow you really need to run longhaul, or you will find yourself bankrupt really fast. Remember to never listen to the recruiters, the job for them is puting butts in seats, and arrow is no different than any other.

If they tell you regional is great, it will suck for everyone but the company.

If they tell you lease/purchase is great, and will make you lots of money, it will...... Then arrow will take it from you, apply it to the truck and whatever B.S. fees they can come up with, and leave you what little is left.

If you are new and just getting your feet wet, do yourself a favor and go long haul for a while. While you are out there you will have the chance to talk to arrow drivers around your home area that pull regional. Ask them how they like it, if it is profitable for them, ask anything you like, just don't go in to regoinal without learning the job and the company as a long haul driver first.

8. bella_eyes

bella_eyes Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Hi, I am a wife of a new driver and I am interested in knowing a few things he works for arrow, ne region.. His paychecks I swear are 7.00 and 300. really, he pays for permits so he can travelwith over size, i understand the ezy pass and stuff but how come it seems as if we are paying arrow for him to be employed,,, how can a family of 5 live off this?? help i am out of my mind,,, any info on how to survive when starting out please,, he also has lost like 20 lbs since march no money to eat on the road or to buy a convertor, frig or nothing any help please...

9. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Bella, My husband never drove for arrow but know of a man that is a fairly new driver. Only 5 months experience out of school. He went with Arrow as his first company. Now he started in Nov in the slow season but there were weeks where he didn't get any pay or very little. Under $300.00. In fact when I averaged his pay for them in 7 weeks he averaged $235.00. Things are getting better. Has he talked to his dispatcher? If the DM isn't doing anything, he can request a new one. I don't know where you are at but tell your hubby to look into Marvick. WoodHaulers is flatbed out of Tx and I know of a couple who drove for them and they always got good miles. Good Luck I know how you feel. We have been in your shoes with a couple of companies when my hubby first started.

10. Pyro

Pyro Bobtail Member

May 4, 2007
    I am currently a driver for Arrow, and I would not recommend to to anyone except maybe my worse enemy. I have only been with them for 3 months and it has been nothing but b.s. and problems. Sitting waiting on loads, trouble getting them to get me home, piss poor DOT safety rating, getting stuck in the shop for days due to there lack of maintenance to equipment. You are nothing but a number to them. Several times I have had to argue with them about screwing up my paycheck, which are laughable at best due to down time and truck repairs. You will tarp a lot and they only pay 20 lousy bucks for tarping, and every time you tarp it will be with 8 ft drop lumber tarps which are way bigger than needed for most things. I know my DM is a lazy worhless #### who does nothing to help you with the things he is supposed to do, not to mention he sent out a message the other day telling the drivers not to call him for any reason, showing even more they don't want to know you they just want you to be a #### number. Even better his chicken #### ### sent it out at night when he wasn't even at work to have to hear any complaints about it from pissed off drivers. He is good at not telling you something untill the end of the day if it is something he thinks will piss you off so he doesn't have to hear about it until you have had time to calm down overnight. They say they are a first in first out disbatch but that too is b.s. the dibatchers play favorites. I hope you reaD THIS BEFORE YOU MAKE A HUGE MISTAKE. As for Swift I have not drove for them and have no personel knowledge about them only what I have heard from other drivers. Good luck with you choice

11. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Update on my friend: Well he gave Arrow another shot and it was no better. 3 out of 5 weeks he didn't get a pay check. They made him pay for straps for his truck and again little miles and sitting around a lot. He left them and went to JB Hunt (not much better but He fell for the lies.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.