info on ptl

Discussion in 'PTL' started by maddawg36432, Dec 29, 2006.

1. maddawg36432

maddawg36432 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2006
    im thinking of going to work for ptl. im wanting to know if they are a good company to work for

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thunderhead_driver

thunderhead_driver Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2006
    was there for almost year and half. some complaints i have, or had, they had a waiting period of 6 mos before the insurance kicked in. then just before i left they started a new program where they put your fuel stops on your route plan. instead of u deciding which pilot or authorized fuel stop to get fuel, they wanted to pick the exact spot to get fuel. that was a major dissatisfaction for me

4. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    I started with PTL in Nov '06. I am now off training as of right before Xmas. To start with thunder's response, yes, you do have to wait 6 mos. for insurance, and yes, they do put your 'fuel solution' on your route plan (or PrePlan). With fuel prices like they are, they shop around for the best price on your route.

I don't have any major complaints with them. They say they get you home within 5 days after you put in for home time. Last hometime they got me home in 6.

Other than that, I like them. Nice trucks (I have an '05 Freightliner with 55k miles) and new-newbys are getting brand new International Eagles.

PTL is not perfect, but I do believe I made the right choice. They are the lesser of all evils.

Good luck and hope this helps. :icon_smile:

blueeyes40 and frankreno Thank this.
  5. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Buildsboro, NC.
    I drove for them in '02 through a Leased on Owner Operator.
    I didn't like (at the time) hauling Haz/Mat on worn out Spring Ride Trailers, yet from what I've seen in the last year, PTL has a LOT of new or newer Air Ride Trailers and decent Tractors. They state they as well do not haul Haz/Mat which for me is a Plus, yet I'm happy where I am and with whom I'm with in NC.
    PTL isn't going anywhere but up so getting on with them is not a bad idea.

There is good and bad of ALL companies however there is more good with PTL than bad, so I hope, should you choose to go with them, that you excel in ALL you do!!:biggrin_25520:

blueeyes40 Thanks this.
  6. KD5AXG

KD5AXG Papa Bear

Sep 3, 2006
    Commerce, Texas
    Just a current update. At first is was ok, then miles lacked BIG TIME. I was lucky if I got 1900 miles a week. Talking to other drivers, this was a trend. They were out of supplies, and made you sit for hours waiting for a load. I know this is trucking, but this went on for MONTHS. I switched over to Ozark. We'll see how this goes.

7. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    The only thing I know about PTL is through a friend of mine who drove for them. He complained of low miles. When I talked to him about that it was in May 2006. But from the other responses here it seems he is the exception to the rule. Good luck in your career.

8. shamusmct2007

shamusmct2007 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I am thinking of going with PTL anyway. They have automatic transmissions. Heard there insurance is really good even if you have to wait 6 months.

9. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    I am thinking about PTL also.I have it narrowed down to them and maverick..I have to call both of them today.I keep hearing bad stuff about mav's speciallized division,and the fact that some of their drivers said they can force you to go to that division has me a little turned off..I seen that PTL has low miles somtime,but I think I could be ok for a little while as long as I was getting $550-$650 a week.I think getting a new truck would be pretty cool too,(not counting on it though) lol.If I get my year in I am thinkin about Jim Palmer of Smith transport if PTL isnt a place I wanna stay at after that time period.

10. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    hey Iraq, PTL is a GREAT starter company. equip is ok, the runs are good. the way the trips are planned/routed out for you and the fuel stops are laid out makes it very hassel free. its low pressure, to let you concentrate. they dont give you impossible delivery times or force you to run hard. I posted on another thread relating to PTL, read that if you have time. good luck brother

Truckingup© Thanks this.
  11. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    I appriciate the info.I decided to go with us xpress.I would have went with ptl until they changed ther training policy.The first time I talked with the recruiter she said training was 7,500 miles.I told here to give me a day to make sure about my decision.I called the next day and she said the new training policy was 33,000 team miles with a random driver.I asked her if I would have said yes the day before if I would have had to do the 33,000 miles thing even though that wasnt a policy I was aware of.She said they would make that decision at orientation and she said she could probably still get me the 7,500 mile training period instead.I asked her to put it in writing and she said she couldnt.Needless to say I just told her not to worry about it and I would look elsewhere.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.