Inherited a Truck No experience nor CDLs

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by SheenaLove, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    I'd either keep it for sentimental value. Or I'd sell it. I wouldn't put a driver in it.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SheenaLove

SheenaLove Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Thank You, I understand all the reasons to sell it, I hear all the expense challenges I will face...

I guess my question is:

1. How do others handle these expenses?

2. How to yield the biggest profit in the industry? (refers, auto transport, livestock, logs, etc.)

3. Im seeing trucks every where, taxes are being paid, fuel is being purchased insurance is up to date. So is the advice to sell due to my lack of experience or is it because the industry is just that bad?

For me, selling it is not an option, nor is letting it sit as a sentimental piece. Id rather give it a go. Im not looking to get rich but the experience of running one may help me run 2.... I was thinking local routes, I have drivers yet the problem is obtaining reliable ones. Thats a major con, finding a driver that will take care of the truck and get to destinations on time (Considering the pay)...I won't be able to afford quality drivers in the beginning and that scares me. No one wants to be sued, along with all the other mandatory expenses....Anyway thanks for all feedback...I have a lot of learning to do, so Im in no hurry to make a decision.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Experience.....

There are people that have been in this industry for years, then buy a truck & loose their life savings because they thought they knew enough to do this. Trucking is a hard industry. Mainly because of regulations & cut throat business people.
    There are many different aspects to the trucking industry. What works for one doesn't work for the other. You HAVE to know the industry & you HAVE to know the business that your getting into.

This business is hard.... Keep in mind, we warned you.

SheenaLove and austinmike Thank this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    You really, honestly wanna give it a go? Do it and yourself a favor and park it.

Get a CDL, jump through the hoops, get some experience in someone else's equipment. Make your mistakes on someone else's numbers. Listen, learn, learn how to separate the bs from the good advice and never stop asking questions.

Keep comprehensive insurance on it should something happen. Run it around the block a couple times a month. Tinker on it and get your hands dirty. It'll be waiting for you when you're ready.

I understand not wanting to sell it, but a driver will just tear it up. What kind of truck is it anyway?

haycarter, x1Heavy and SheenaLove Thank this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    If you don't have the resources to pay a quality driver now, you never will … You're sentimentally attached to your father's truck and want to keep it working … but if you can't afford a quality driver, how you going to cover the cost of the repairs after your cheap driver tears off a fender, breaks mirror and will more than likely trash the cab … what's your father's truck going to mean to you then?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    okiedokie and dunchues Thank this.
  7. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Sell it to me. I already have a truck and have been looking to add a 2nd truck so you can be sure it will be put to good use. I've got established lanes, good freight, and a couple of good drivers that I trust.

SheenaLove Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you ran it, you can expect a fuel bill approaching 90,000 per year at 3.00 a gallon, 6 mpg and 2500 gallons a month with a single driver. Or a team filling 300 gallons between 20 to 30 hours round the clock, plus 100 for reefer if applicable.

Do you have 100,000 dollars ready to go when the fuel bills come back to you at all hours of the days and nights demanding to be paid in a year?

You are talking getting as much profit. I consider it risk management and reducing expenses and wasted motion, lost time, lumper feets late fees and god only knows what else.

This industry will eat you alive. 2millions of dollars reduced to a small fortune of 200,000

If you really really want a go. Do it as a student in trucking school first, then as a newbie solo your first year after training. That truck will be waiting for you at home. Provided the city did not run you off for maintaining a salvage yard in your side drive.

SheenaLove and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Do me a favor? Just write me a $100,000 check. Once you recover from that, write me another one. The end result will be the same for you, but at least you aren't throwing money away to brokers, mechanics, and everyone else trying to take you for a ride.

TruckChicken Thanks this.
  10. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Sheena, If you're Truly serious about this?

I'd suggest talking to your father's Work colleagues & Shippers/Brokers he used to Work for/with.
    1) Provided that your Father was Working up until recently,& was giving Good service It should work in your favour..
    2) On the other hand, If your Father's had been ill for a long period of Time, & there's no verifiable work History ect. It will be far harder to make it work..

I'm not going to tell you Not to do It, (or Sell It), But i will say in Order for you to make a success of this venture. You will need to have 2 Things..

1) a TOTAL, & I mean 110% commitment to make It Work.!

2) The equivalent of; At least 3 months (expected) Cashflow put away for Working Capital..!

Good luck, & sorry for your Loss.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  11. 18 wheels of fury

18 wheels of fury Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Houston
    everybody on here is so negative I think we all started with no experience so maybe drive a company truck learn the business and maybe give it a run because she already said it's not for sell and if it was as bad as some of you are making it you still wouldn't be out here running

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.