Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I can look at the menu, but I can't order from it. Well, I could but that wouldn't be very nice to the woman who's been putting up with my crap for a few years now.

Yet another translation would be I'm not married, but I'm living with my girlfriend and her daughter.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Well... I can't come up with anything "cute" for a response to those statements so here's what I can say. In this day and age, it's commendable to say that and stick with it. You're OK! :yes2557:

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  4. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    OK now for all of us who wanted to talk about credit etc. I started a thread so we wouldn't take anything away from the theme of this one.
    It's in the lets talk about anything section. Any imput would be appreciated and maybe helpful. Even if it's just to talk about it or offer suggestions.

M.Enterprises Thanks this.
  5. tedcohen

tedcohen Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    hey is anybody familiar with ADT, which is a company that transports a lot of plastic pipe?
    where is their web site? or phone?
    thanks!

6. MilkMan

MilkMan Bullshipper

Aug 18, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    adttransportation ....with the c word........ if they're also into steel hauling

7. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    By rate, I had my best week last week I think: $1.34/mile all miles average.

[​IMG]

Drove about 2600 miles, around $1k in fuel subtracted from that figure.

In other news, I think, I'm pretty sure, well I definitely am unless some obstacle comes up that I can't overcome - Leasing on another truck this week. I'll expand on that as details reveal themselves. :biggrin_2552:

Next I'll get on to the demon in my truck :biggrin_2554:

8. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    You had a better week because you came to my trucking lane.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  9. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Ok well I would appreciate it if the mechanically inclined could give an opinion or two. I'll try to keep it to the facts:

On Wednesday, I had just dropped a load, pulled out onto the street, and as I waited in the turning lane, my truck just shut off and wouldn't restart. I called Wayne and he said the computer probably shut it down, give it a few minutes. I did, and I shut off everything in the truck and all dash buttons. It restarted, so I headed for the nearest lot, a Sunoco on the corner. As I was rolling I turned on the a/c and the truck shut right off immediately again.

I coasted and landed at a 45 to the fuel pumps and was stuck. I turned everything off again and kept trying to start it until the batteries got too weak to turn the engine (about 8 tries).

While waiting for a wrecker, I would turn the key on halfway and the guages would dance and the red light on each one would come on. I would hear a click-CLICK under the hood. I tried to run out a couple times to see if I could hear where the click-CLICK was coming from.

I checked the fuse box it looked ok. Next time I tried the key halfway, I heard a familiar sound, the fuel relay pump kicked on. I felt pretty good it would start if the batteries had a charge. Sure enough when the roadside repair came, we jumped it and it fired up. We couldn't get it to shut off again even with the A/C on. He looked it over for a bit and couldn't find anything. Curious enough though, it turned out my inverter had blown a fuse. Well I put another fuse in and it blew right away. I figured well there must be something screwy there. The mechanic guy didn't really agree or see how that could be it, but I don't really believe in coincidences so I was satisfied even if he wasn't.

I left the inverter off from then on.

Later I was going down the road and lost power again and it resumed a half minute later as I lost speed. I shut off the A/C again, it eventually kicked back on. I pulled over to a pilot which was small and parked in the "no parking anytime" zone. I turned on the A/C and it shut off. As I waited the cops came and ran all my information but didn't give me a ticket. This time I didn't try to turn the engine at all until I heard that fuel relay pump. It eventually kicked in and I started it. As I started moving, I turned on the A/C and it turned off again, but this time restarted right away.

(I know, quit screwing with the a/c right?) well I couldn't, it was hot and muggy and knew both COULD work under the right circumstances and the temptation was just too much.

20 minutes later with no a/c and I pulled into a rest area and tried it again. Shut right off, and this time the fuel relay pump never kicked back on after an hour. I decided we (me and my son) were going to sleep since it was almost 1am. I had a fan and plugged it into the 12v invertor I had bought at the Pilot I was stuck at. At 5am I woke up sweaty, luckily the fan was still going and batteries were ok, but even after all that time, the fuel relay pump was a no go. Just the click-CLICK.

At this point I was desperate and decided to go out and have a look-see. I left the key on halfway. I went to the fuse box, and as I touched it to pull the cover off, there goes the fuel pump running. I run back in and start her up. Since I'm an ### the first thing I go to is the A/C. Stall. click-CLICK.

I go back to the fuse box and pull the over off, I push in on the top relay which had a little give, and it fired back up, this time I tried the A/C and it went on full blast.

Since then, I've not gotten stranded, but the poltergeist lets me know it's still there. Since then I've noticed that every powered thing I add, takes a toll on my voltmeter. If I turn the a/c on fan 1, it drops a bit, 2, 3, 4 each takes a bit more. Add the headlights and it drops to just above the yellow.

Twice more I lost power while driving 70, but by the time I hit 50 it resumed. When night came and I had everything running, the headlights shut off while driving for about 10 seconds. A couple miles later it did it again, I turned the A/C down from 4 to 2 and it never happened again, but the volts stayed right around 12.5.

So, am I scewed? What do you guys think?

10. _ton bundle

_ton bundle Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Elevator Bay, Minnesota
    sounds like a faulty flux capacitor to me

[​IMG]

7mouths2feed and PharmPhail Thank this.
  11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    replace that relay. if it still happens take the fuse box apart and start looking for loose connections.

your voltmeter should drop the more stuff you turn on and you may just be NOTICING it now since you are looking however a bad ground could do that too since it's trying to draw all that power but can't get it back to ground. Ground problems suck ######.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.