Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Learn from someone else's successes and their mistakes too.

Don't worry, when you finally go out on your own, you'll do plenty of both...just keep the success/mistakes ratio higher in the success column

PharmPhail and Lilbit Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    also if your new you have no idea of the cost. ins,breakdowns ,fuel etc
    you could get a truck and not know how todo alot of things and that willbreak yea
    When I had my last truck i did all of the stuff i could myself and alot of the time your on side of the road when you do it.
    Time tells you to keep your truck stocked with breakdown supplys etc

4. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Hey Guys, I have another situation to ask about.

I just spoke with Economy transport group out of Charlotte and it turns out that there isn't a personal experience clause to the financing there, especially if I have 25% down which I could on a 25k or so truck.

I spoke with the guy at length and they have a small trucking company and he made some recommendations. Says he's had a couple guys in my situation with the local mileage from Progressive etc.. They rent hoppers and end dumps, trucks with wet lines etc... Now, I've heard these terms and have a vague idea of what it entails, but basically he referred me to a broker that handles those things and says the guys doing that around here are doing "very well".

I know OTR is in the crapper and all the good advice about this, but with a good cheap truck, my own authority, this expensive insurance, do you guys think this is something I could make a modest living doing for a year or so? (He said they're doing about $1500 a week to the truck, but I'll believe that when I see it. Of course he has to get the loan through with those numbers, so just maybe...)

Also, what kind of special training if any would I need to handle this kind of work?

Thanks guys, you rock.

5. DoubleDear

DoubleDear Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    Is this a joke? Oh my goodness! Without the common knowledge and Experience, you'll get no where.
    How easy do you think it is to get your own operating Authority?

First , what type of Authority would you apply for? Do you have a customer? What type of freight would you apply for that Authority?

Second, a person with experience wouldn't hop on a so called "free trial" board and pick a load.
    Do you have a dry van? Reefer? Step Deck?

You have to know what type of freight and if that load can all fit on the trailer. Sometimes it doesn't.
    Do you know the rates, for the type of freight you would be hauling? And the know what rate to take for the weight and miles for that load? Can you estimate the cost of fuel for that load to where it's going? And how much you would profit?

Do you think with an authority you can just keep hopping on a board list and run a truck like that?
    I should say not. You won't last long , out on the road running your truck that way. You'll go broke before the Month's over.

You need something more concrete, and secure.
    Like leasing on with a company and getting some experience under your belt.

Now you're talking about wet lines? Hee, hee, Good Luck.
    The offer sounds good. Get your feet wet!

6. nahmakanta

nahmakanta Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2007
    portland or
    getting your authority takes about four weeks.
    as for the insurance for someone who would want to run all 48 with limited or no experience you can get it through a insurance broker who will put your application in a pool and you will be asigned a insurence company that will have to give you a policy.
    most insurance companys judge your expierence by the date on your cdl. not your truck driving job history.
    so a person who obtained his cdl 3 years ago and then got a job flipping burgers would have a cheaper policy then someone with two years of driving expierence.
    lisen to the above posts, don"t do it

luvtheroad and American-Trucker Thank this.
  7. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

Hi, I wish it were, but no it's not a joke. For whatever reason, I can't take advantage of the conventional path of getting on with a trainer company though I've been trying and something may come through. Assuming it doesn't I will have to take matters into my own hands, a path I'm familiar with. These are all good and fair questions. You can't limit or manage risk and uncertaintly unless you know what they are.

I think, yes, it's easy to get your own authority with enough money. No, not easy to get insured, not easy to get financed. If those don't happen then this whole scenario is a non-issue.

I will choose firmly what to pull and who to broker with before taking possession of a truck. This thread is not a journal of what I am doing, it is research for what I'd like to do, please keep this in mind. Answers are great, advice is great, assumptions of my failure are not quite so helpful, but I realize need to be ever-present to keep in mind the gravity of what I am looking to take on.

No I really do not plan on relying solely on loadboards. I have the numbers of a few brokers I plan to speak to and get as much info as possible. I'll crunch some numbers and continue to ask people in these respective fields how they are doing and the types of numbers that seem reasonable to them.

I could and might fail, but it won't be in a month. I don't really need to make anything for several months. I have all the security, funds, and credit a good O/O plan requires, just not the experience. I do have a good support system and access to professionals, inside and outside this board. I would never underestimate the power of good networking that this forum provides, and you are all really good and helpful people. I hope it's not risky to assume this will continue.

I will estimate cost of fuel as falling somewhere between best case and worst case scenario of the mpg I get fully loaded and empty, and make sure I'm charging for the worst. My truck payment will be minimal, probably around $700 a month.

Thanks, keep it coming!

8. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    What more do you know about this, in particular? Anyone else heard of this?

My CDL issue date is only a month ago, so that won't help me much.

9. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I thought this only applied to states that have mandatory vehicle insurance
    Being that they force insurance companies to share in the risk of bad drivers
    I never heard applied to big truck insurance

10. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Yeah that sounds about right. Think I've heard of that too.

11. Boxcar

Boxcar Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    So your saying they have a truck they will sell you and then they have work for you.. run! don't walk away from this. Just wait till the work slows down. They will take the truck back and sell it to the next sucker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.