Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Luis

Luis Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Hey now.:biggrin_25523: Seems rob takes a while to catch up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slabrunner

slabrunner Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Muskegon, MI
    I don't know. Some of the responses he was getting in here were kinda abusive, I thought.

4. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    eskimo,i was averageing $1.40 to $1.10 and averageing 5,78 mile to the gallon on fuel ,what did me in was the 200-300 mile dead heads,to keep moveing ,i was doing alright ,but their was no maintence fund, no tire fund, no health insurance, and on top of that the deal i had with the truck,was a joke , it was set for failer,i took the deal and tryed to beat the odds,,to crap up 12,000 in less than 90 days,was not impossible but the odds were against me,their frieght took me into areas where there was no frieght and the brokers crying the blues, and yes i do take it as my fault for some bad choices , like crap loads on the load board from ch robbinson,wanting to pay next to nothing for a load,or getting told a 902 mile run for $1002.00 and over sized load no less,and getting told theirs hungry drivers out there that will take the run,after figureing 400 for fuel,25% to the company,and can only drive durring daylight hrs,dont leave much left,,,so yes eskimo i tossed in the towel,the $$$$ didnt equal what it was costing me,,,,and eskimo i do blame myself for this, i took a chance,and it didnt work,if i had started a few mths earlyer an if i was able to make payments on the truck instead of getting screwed into a one lump sum,i would still be on the road,mabey not with that company but still rolling,,,i had a #### good truck i put alot of time and money into ,and yes it jerks my chain to know i lost the game,,,,, im not barking back at you eskimo,but alot of people didnt know what i had for a deal on the truck, if i could do it all over again id do it alot differnt,but im out of moneys to back myself ,so for now it is over for me,,,,i just hope ,these new guys heed the warnings and prepare themselves, as you well know its not easy ,,theres alot more to this than being able to say im a trucker and own my own truck,,,i see alot of guys and their trucks sitting cause theey cant afford the tags or the ins or fuel to keep it on the road so they park them

5. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    just some facts,,,,,,,im sitting here getting ready for my taxes,,,,,, got my 1099 from my carrier,grossed $23445.00 for 10 weeks out on the road,less $4ooo.00 for all reciepts for getting truck ready to go on the road,less $7000.00 in fuel. less ,$550 for 2290, less $2000.00 chains ,binders,tarps,,,,,i can keep going after all exspences,,,10 weeks out i made $3500.00,,,,,,,lol show me the money!!!! alot of this was initial start up cost,the price to be paid to say im a o/o and some bad choices ,,,but i had to do something i was tired of sitting home on unemployment,sometimes i think i would have been better off,but let me say this, i wouldnt change an thing as far as the people i met on this forum ,the people i met out on the road that helped me when i had a problem, and or the ones that didnt know me from crap and a whole in the ground that lent a hand when they seen me haveing a problem, i have some pictures of them and just their first name, these are the unsung heros of the road,i to did my fair share of helping ,if i could,,,its what was taught to me by my father who was a trucker for 30 yrs ,,,,,its amazeing how something one loves and has a passion for and enjoys with such pride,that our faithfull goverment and big bizness screws the little guy just trying to make a buck,and provide for our familys

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Baack and slabrunner Thank this.
  6. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Hey Dino, I know you had it rough, don't get me wrong. But to throw a blanket statement out there of needing $2.00 a mile just to break even is nuts. You say that you averaged $1.10-$1.40. Well, that is a range and not an average. You also said deadhead seperately, so I am guessing that that revenue per mile number that you stated was only on loaded miles? Just to show a point here, I will use your high number of $1.40, although based on things you said, I doubt you were actually anywhere close to that. but to show my line of thinking; if you simply add $.20 cpm to that number, you make $2000 a month or so more than you were, and that is still nowhere close to the $2.00 number you threw out there.

Dino, I like you. You seem to be a down to earth guy. I am just nitpicking at you here and using some words you said to make a point. Don't take it personal and there is no need to defend yourself. I know just by reading your posts that you tried to the very best of your ability to make it work.

slabrunner Thanks this.
  7. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    NITPICKER! :biggrin_2551: J/K Hey Dino - how's it flying with the work in Haiti?

8. irnndn

irnndn Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Does anybody have any updates on Pharm?

9. PharmPhailPartsReplacer

PharmPhailPartsReplacer Not to be confused with DinosPartsReplacer

Sep 7, 2009

I talk / text with him almost every week. He's working steady with no major problems...... Just trying to make a living like everyone else.

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I've not been able to keep up with this thread.

Is Pharm still in his own truck or how did that turn out? The last I knew was he had a convertible and ended up teaming with some one to try and make some coin.

11. PharmPhailPartsReplacer

PharmPhailPartsReplacer Not to be confused with DinosPartsReplacer

Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, He's back in his own truck....
    We fixed the hole in the roof of his truck with a little fiberglass and bondo and put in a low mileage transmission.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.