Insurance Scams on starting Authority ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by johnnyman1099, Dec 27, 2019.

1. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    You're right, it's a tough row to hoe now a days. Besides farming, all I'm doing now is contracted FB direct haul (200 miles) and home every night.

You got to try and find a niche that works for you, maybe something specialized, but spot market aint it. Some guys learn the freight lanes and make out ok, but too much of a headache for me.

Personally, I like a contracted direct haul, if you can set one up both ways even better, but maybe for some it's best to find and lease on with an honest carrier, less headaches.....

My own thoughts are that MC#'s are being handed out way to easy, not that I'm saying we should go back to the old days of it being nearly impossible to get authority, but somewhere in the middle might be beneficial....

whoopNride Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Who is your agent/underwriter? Help us out.

4. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    No longer use an agent. I went Progressive direct 4 yrs ago.

5. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    That is strange. I had to leave Progressive because they were raising my rates until I could no longer afford them. Never had a claim in the years I was with them. Doesn’t make sense. Last year when I was shopping around for quotes they refused to even quote me. Didn’t want my business. Again, I have a perfect safety rating and never a cargo claim.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  6. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Insurance companies are definitely hard to figure out. Lots of times I think the agents themselves jack the quote up to line their pockets. Just to see how much you are willing to pay.

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Regardless of what kind of insurance you buy, they rate them according what state you're in. I'm in California and they wouldn't quote me out here either, probably because they have a lot of claims in this state so they cut off any new policies until things settle down. Medical insurance is the same way. It costs more for surgery in LA than it does in Houston, so they charge more for insurance in LA.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Where you live has a lot to do with whether you will be approved and how much it will cost.

The way insurance works is every company has to have a nearly independent subsidiary in each state in order to stay inline with all of the regulatory and judicial peculiarities there.

Accident and theft statistics vary from place to place. Also, the average size of jury verdicts and the circumstances under which they are awarded directly affect insurance premiums. (Keep that in mind next time a push for tort reform comes around.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.