Insurers embrace in-cab video systems, even if drivers don't

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by smokey12, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well as the article said...."discounts" for the cameras..when a fleet owns dozens of trucks, discounts mean a lot, right..?? like fuel discounts...right...??

i see a day where all companies that are not self insured, even the owner operators that would refuse cameras, will bow down to cameras, not if, but WHEN they get hit with huge premiums for installing cameras.

no business can absorb costs, over the long term.

it'll be a standard feature that all who are not self insured, will have to go along with, or get the heck out of the business.

brave talk from some soon i'd imagine, but it is a fact...no o/o can absorb any incurred costs for the long term. raising hauling rates will sooner or later, make many customers look for cheaper rates, like from the companies that can adhere to the insurance companies mandates.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I hope your wrong. It's sad that these guys wearing business casual who have never driven a truck are trying to run our lives but thats the way its been for eons. Why can't they just keep their ##### out of the cab of our otr trucks and stick with forward facing? These companies with cubicle dwellers have nothing but visions of $$$$$ dancing in their heads.
    This battle is going to go on for a while but on a brighter note it does seem as of late otr companies are steering away from driver facing because of recruiting issues. The micromanagement these days is unbelievable..Oh the joy of the open road....

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yep. It’s going to become a more or less standard equipment on commercial vehicles. It’s not a matter of if but when.

##### gripe and complain all you want but it’s coming. About all you can do to postpone this is to become an independent owner op.

I’m glad I can see the end.

5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    but as i said in my posting, even the o/o's will be forced to have cameras, or face very high insurance premiums, rather than discounts...they will have to raise thier rates accordingly, and i see where many of thier customers will drop them, in favor of larger fleets that can afford to be self insured...\

i am not sure ANY o/o can be self insured.......

6. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    if everyone decided to be amish they would make the horse and buggy illegal, freedom is an illusion, bow to your master.

adayrider and Dark_Majesty_06 Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Perhaps but they will be the last in line to deal with them was my point. Think about the automobile sector. The insurance companies have already came to the conclusion that driver cams systems will not be tolerated in wholesale fashion. Best they can do is plug into the ecm and record send and monitor vital statistics that way. People will tolerate a lot of privacy intrusion but everyone has limits and will pay higher premiums up to a point.

The industry captains are still disillusioned into thinking self driving trucks are just around the corner and such policies that force human drivers to leave are acceptable and preferred. But visionary’s and prophets are often wrong and this will be another of those times

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I have had the same Insurance agent for over 15 years now- NEVER once was I asked about a Camera.
    I've never filed a claim Either.

My Rate as an independent is very reasonable because of my loyalty and driving habits.
    Hmmm.........

Anyhow,We'll see how this pans out, Forcing cameras in vehicles,

9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    California will find a way to apply the CARB rules to the horse and buggy

and states that have tolls, will toll per axle and perhaps per hoof on the ground.....multiple horses...?? bigger tolls....

can you imagine the toll on the old, "20 mule teams" of centuries ago...???

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Already working on it.
    Methane recycling capture system
    C2D6670E-A795-487C-BAB1-0364AF9E3E37.jpeg

Emissions system
    15821432-733E-4803-B05A-8E786AA1CAEC.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.