Interested in doing CDL school through a company, but I have an issue...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Lytport, Feb 19, 2020.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Anyone can pass CDL school. CDL school is just about passing the state driving test. NO SCHOOL is going to train you well enough to go do the job on your own. You will learn 90% of this job during your period AFTER CDL school when you are riding with a trainer.

If you are broke and this plan MUST work, then you put up with whatever it takes to make it work. The period with the trainer is usually considered the most difficult time because you don't know what to expect, work according to the schedule the company and your trainer dictates, and you are away from everything familiar. You deal with that with just getting through the next hour and the next day until you get your won truck.

IMO, in the last 20 years new drivers seem to quit the second time they face ANY difficulty. And "difficulty" might be something very unimportant or temporary. It's like they are looking for an excuse to announce "this is impossible" and running away. People with less experience,less skill, less intelligence have learned this job and do very well. You can too if you don't quit on your first or second hard day. Just do the next thing, and then the next thing until you know what you are doing. Many trainers will answer your questions after you leave them, just call him.

You know why there were heroes at The Alamo? Because they had no choice. If you have no choice, do the work. It's not hard it's just different than other jobs. Trucking is a job and a lifestyle. It takes a while to find your place with both. Also, your dispatcher is not your boss and you don't ask dispatchers how to drive or how to make driving decisions. Ask your trainer or other drivers. Newbies seem to think because they speak to the dispatcher a lot, the dispatcher can answer all of their questions. That's not true. His job is to dispatch loads, not make the decisions for you.

Wasted Thyme and homeskillet Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Personally I am hoping for some rough times during my mentor/training 200+hours. That way it will make my solo running feel like a dream. Plus when trying to squeeze 53' into a tight as a virgin hole. I'll have someone who's been there to either bust my balls or tell me my good points. Best way to learn. Under fire. You'll either die or become great at what you are doing.

theSoz Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You probably missed the abusive trainers by about 30 years give or take.

Alot of them have been either killed off or neutered by sunflowers who present a variety of enlightened non confrontational training etc to the poor trainee.

Your biggest problems in trucking probably will be mother nature herself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.