interested in ODFL

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by mrdot, Jul 9, 2015.

1. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    So I am interested in ODFL. I have been reading a lot of different posts on here about them and everyone seems to play this place out as next to perfect from the sounds of it. I looked on their website and they show thAt they are hiring for combo driver at a terminal very close to me (Mineral wells, WV). I just have a few questions. I know that just because they say they're hiring for combo doesnt mean that is exactly what id do. But what exactly does that mean to do combo? Just pulling doubles from one place to another? Also, I know they have uniforms.. so very formal I take it? Would me having arms sleeved out with tattoos affect my chance at the job? I think I am just going to make the jump and apply just to see what happens. And is it a majority of home everyday jobs or are there out 5 home 2 jobs ? Really dont have a clue about ltl. Could do more research but thought of posting here in hopes that one of you kind fellows could shine some light on the job. Much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Combo means you'll do City work and Linehaul work. Means you'll be in Sh$t unloading multi stops in city or driving terminal to terminal. Until you get seniority then you can be full linehaul or city. Means their line board is likely full or they are being overran In the city and don't have enough city drivers My friends started out like that then went full line in 6 months. He did more line work. They had to make them combo drivers first for some reason. Guess city was over run. It all depends on the terminal and needs. If you want linehaul you got to let them know and when it opens you'll be put on if your next in line vise verse for city driver. They'll keep you busy in the meantime.

mrdot Thanks this.
  4. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    I appreciate your response. I see a lot of people saying that linehaul Is the best position to shoot.. but I'm going to assume everyone is different. I never see ODFL trucks around locally though, just on the interstate. Then again whenever I spent my days at home I probably was never paying attention.

Radman Thanks this.
  5. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I wouldn't call it perfect, or even close to that, but in my opinion it is a very good place to work. It is definitely the best job I've had. For what it's worth, my location has a lot of drivers that came over from other LTL's and they all love it. I think we've had about 15 something drivers come over from Con Way just in the last year. Linehaul pays more, but city drivers are home in the evenings which is a big plus if you're a family man.

They do have uniforms, optional for linehaul drivers, mandatory for P&D along with steel toes and other PPE companies you will visit might require. Start the day in a clean uniform and it'll be no big deal. Same with tattoos. I've seen a lot of ink at my barn so it's not uncommon. Lots of facial hair too. As long as you don't look like you just finished writing your manifesto by candlelight in a cabin in the woods, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  6. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    Thanks, well that is great to hear! Even over the road at the moment I always keep a clean appearance, I think it shows a lot. I reckon I am going to go ahead and throw in my application and see where it takes me!

hdcut and Radman Thank this.
  7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Either way LTL to me is way better then OTR. It's more money and being home. Linehaul is where the money's at and city driver is more of a normal off weekends life. Linehaul is pretty much nights and a anti social schedule for the most part. Closest thing to a normal schedule is city driver but also less pay. Linehaul is mostly non physical job while city is busting your butt.

hdcut Thanks this.
  8. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    Yep, city you really kill yourself. At this place you'll be unloading heavy boxes of ammo and carrying inside to govt facilities while lazy employees just look at you, unpacking boxes of furniture for customers who order white glove service, walking oversized skids of junk 1/4 mile into mall freight hallways, dodging low hanging wires and branches while doing residentials all day, trying to unwedge skids the dock crammed into your trailer, breaking your back moving 2500 lb totes of liquid on anti-slip trailer floors, calling in damage exceptions 2-3 times a day because a dock worker was in a bad mood while loading your trailer.

Listen to these guys, in this world of LTL line is the only way to go. I have no idea why line gets paid more for sitting on their tush when there's so much more BS to deal with on the city side!

Radman and mrdot Thank this.
  9. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    A city job sounded alright.. until... haha I agree with you though on the pay but each has its ups and downs though eh?

BackIsSore Thanks this.
  10. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    Truth! City has much more downs than ups! Good company and decent pay, but the work part truly involves being treated like garbage by customers and public while dragging skids that weigh more than a pickup truck all day long.

If you think you can stay awake all night, try the linehaul first.

Naptown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.