interested in pulling containers in the Atlanta area any info on good companies

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by dewhit, Sep 29, 2012.

1. dewhit

dewhit Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012
    i'm interested in intermodal companies in the Atlanta area my self, i'm currently pulling containers overseas here in Kuwait and really like it, and i just purchased a house in Ellenwood GA and wanted to continue to pull containers as a owner operator when i move there in a few months so any info on the companies, pay and etc would be appreciated thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    i pull cans for road link in savannah we got a terminal in atlanta off moreland blvd. pay is $1.10 a mile plus fuel surcharge averages $ .26 a mile right now. run southeast only most day runs outta the port in savannah. 50 per hr detention pay, and150 layover pay. beware the ila (longshoremans union ) is threating to strike at all the east coast and gulf ports. they were supposed to strike on oct 1st but it has been pushed back 90 days for a cooling off period. i got several ila members in my neighborhood and they all say it aint looking good in 90 days so beware if you do decide to haul cans. also to get in the port your gonna need a twic card which can take up to 8 weeks to get sometimes you can get them quicker. just depends on how fast the government moves. with out the twic most companys will charge you around $40 to pull your box out or take it in.

4. freightrunner

freightrunner Heavy Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    1 don't got to Roadlink (no offense) try railport,btt, 1st coast about 30 miles away, don't bother with atlantic trucking company, try gilco most of everyone pays the same.. Im currently at U.S. services and their rates suck freight is slow.. Tuesday's my last day..

5. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    yeah road link aint the greatest but its a job for now. i second btt and railport also howard sheppard from what i hear is a fairly straight up co. and your right freight suuuuuucks right now.

6. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    Is that a typo?? That's HALF of what it actually is!!!

7. freightrunner

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    Also Horizon Freight lines hell J.B. Hunt will hire you

8. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    Container haulers dont get great FSC. And if they get great FSC there not getting anything close to what the load actually pays.

9. dude6710

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    Good luck with that, they will put you where they want to. Recruter will tell you intermodal and you goto orientation and get a truck with a FM and ull be OTR pulling a van.

10. freightrunner

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    sorry for being unclear J.B. Hunt will hire you as a O/O but i've heard stories about them to..

11. dude6710

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    They will do that but honestly your almost always loaded. Ull pickup at the rail. get unloaded. DH to a nearby customer and get re-loaded and head back to the rail and you've wasted a whole day to get paid 1.29 a mile. The company im leased to does some J.B hunt loads. I refuse them because id go bankrupt doing them. And most of the time the loads they give us ull have to run illegal to even do them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.