Intermodal Companies (Rails, not PORTS)

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by JJKid, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    well I have some problems with some cxs specially the south Kearny terminal in nj the basters don't inspect their chassis and when you come back to the yard and tell them that the inspection is expired they tell me "we cant put it out of service we have no code for it next time before you take a box out with a expired chassi get it change for one that is not" but when it comes to burned marker lights they charge me 20 dollars for a light that is worth less than 4 dollars mind you to get a chassi changed takes about 1 hour between looking for a good chassi and someone in a machine willing to change it this year so far between me and my other driver I have spent over 200 dollars on marker lights and stupid fixes I hope they are tax deductible..

TmGM Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Are the rest of you guys exp. this new BS of the slid flat's being charged to your companies? We are getting billed left and right for slid flats (flat spotted tires). They started this back in May, got yelled at today because they got bills for three tires for me from June. I know I didn't do it, but since it's not something always obvious to see, we don't report them. A lot of them are caused by the yard guys hooking and booking before the brakes release. If you complain about the hostlers they come back on us with threats of a 5 to 7 day ban.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi striker, not much has changed in 20 years, it's their way of getting new tires. That's why it's critical to get it documented when checking out, have the dingus that's checking you out mark the condition of the tires, and then roll ahead a foot or 2, and have them note "tires ok". It's your only defense, unless you really are skidding the tires.:biggrin_2559:

5. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Yes.

This issue started two years ago and they have upped their game with the railyards notably CSX 59th & NS 47th (Chicago). Our company started getting billed for tires under the drivers name. The company charges it back to the driver. A little confrontation occurred in our 2012 2ND Q Safety meeting because of this. Drivers thought it was unfair to bill them back the tires and the company should eat the charges. Safety was so angry that he got the big batch of bills, whited out the names and showed it to each driver. I mean, I saw an individual bill as much as $1,000 for 4 skid flats. I'm talking bills were atleast $200 or more. Safety was stern and refused to have the company be responsible for tires so.....

Safety & Operations have come up with a way for drivers to avoid tires bills. Simply, when they're inspecting your tires at the ingate.. get out of the truck and STAY with them. Make sure you confirm with them before that J1 comes out. If there's a slid flat or any damages to the tires, call dispatch and he will give you the "OK - the company will eat it" or "Return to the terminal, hell with them". Any bill that comes in your name, you're responsible for clear cut and period.

It sucks but oh well. I guess they're trying to help us in some way.... I dunno. i talk to alot of drivers not only in this company but other companies... all intermodal companies in the chicago area are dealing with this tire issue..... CSX 59th is a running tire scam.

4noReason Thanks this.
  6. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I was at NS47th this morning and was waiting for this hostler to get out of my way. He was dragging one of my company's chassis right in front of me. I guess he didn't see me at first or didn't make the connection that I was watching him. He suddenly stopped and hooked up the airlines and moved that chassis properly.

7. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    so how did you find it? did u speak to someone? or did u look for it? im doing my research thanks.

8. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    so how do o/o make money then?? that makes no sense!!!!!! paying for tires on a chasis? man im scared to enter the rail business. but i know i wanna

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Like I said on the other thread, I made money, and you can get a location, but things will screw up, but after a while, you kind of get the hang of it, like anything. Like I say, things have gotten a lot better. Back in the late 80's when I started that, even my boss didn't know what to do, and we were on our own.

4noReason Thanks this.
  10. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    guys it all comes down to good pretrip and we all got smart phones take a picture before you go and send it to the dispatch just to cover your rear, i had a tire that was flat and didnt have the needle to inflate it, so i took a picture sent it to my dispatch before leaving the rail yard and told him "how im supposed to inflate this tire if it goes flat??.. i will not be held responsible" i have proof that i mentioned the deficiency covered my rear and my dispatch!

TmGM and Cody1984 Thank this.
  11. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    This is a great response. Inspect the entire "trailer" and if in doubt about anything report it to your company and the rail yard and take photos on your phone to document everything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.