Internal sensor code and idle validation code help.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by bowtieboy77, Jan 18, 2018.

1. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    I am requesting help with 2 codes that are going active and inactive. The truck is a 2007 7600 with a cummins ism and the chassis is a tandem snow plow. I picked the unit up at another depot and drove in approx. 30 miles to our repair depot. I was on overtime so when I got back my shift was done so I have not done any diagnosing as of yet. The codes are as follows:
    1. internal sensor voltage supply below normal or shorted low.
    SID 221 FMI 4
    2. idle validation switch out of calibration
    SID 230 FMI 13

The drive back was interesting to say the least. When the internal sensor code goes active the rpms will climb to 2000rpm by itself and hold for appox 5 seconds. The rpms will drop and the code will go inactive. I did notice before I left when parked the internal sensor code was active until I raised the rpms to 1500rpm then the code would go inactive. Also during my drive the idle validation switch code would go active and I would loose throttle and it would go to idle. It would stay active for a few seconds and then it would go inactive. The problem seemed worse when upshifting away from a stop. I don't believe the two codes were ever active at the same time. This makes me think the two codes are connected.

A quick search of the codes resulted in the common thing to check is for blown fuses. I am thinking if it was a blown fuse would the code/ codes not be active all the time rather then back and forth?
    I know the idle validation switch is built into the throttle pedal but wondering what the internal sensor is, what it does and where it is located.

Any diagnosing info is greatly appreciated and will give me a direction to follow in the morning when I go in. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    221 is also for accelerator pedal. Low voltage detected at lever position sensor supply.

With snow plows, I wish you luck. Go over the wiring and look for corrosion from the salt. The throttle wiring is direct to the ECM. It doesn't go through the body controller. There are no fuses, it's all powered from the ECM.

bowtieboy77 Thanks this.
  4. bowtieboy77

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    O.k so both codes are connected to the throttle pedal. What do you think the chances are replacing the throttle pedal will cure both issues? I guess I have a good starting point start checking connections and wiring. Thanks for the quick reply.

5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I think that your chances are pretty good considering all of the abuse (salt,snow etc.) that the pedal and sensor takes on a salt plow truck.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. bowtieboy77

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    Well here is the happy update. I found the issue quite quickly. The main engine harness had been touching the air compressor discharge line and melted the loom and allow one of the twisted wires coming from the throttle pedal to rub and intermittently ground out on the copper line. Thanks for the advice.

QUALITYTRUCK and Heavyd Thank this.
  7. bowtieboy77

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    Had I not found the wire issue it was my next step. You are correct on the abuse its amazing these trucks do aswell as they do! Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.