International 4300 DT466 Runs Hot Help

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by AffordableRelocation, Aug 16, 2020.

1. AffordableRelocation

AffordableRelocation Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Sylvania, OH
    I own a 2007 International 4300 with the DT466 motor. I purchased it about 4 years ago and it has always ran on the hot side. I took it into an International dealer and had was told the EGR Cooler and Valve was causing the problem. Had that replaced. Didn't fix the problem. Truck would run hot IE 220-225, but not over heat. (55k miles ago)

Then a hose went out and the truck did overheat. I had to have an inframe rebuild done. Had this done at the dealer as well. At the same time I as the inframe I had the injectors replaced, thermostat, water pump, and radiator. Just to be sure of no problems. (40k miles ago)

Truck still runs hot. Turbo was replaced (50k miles ago), ICP/IPR replaced (15k miles ago), turbo actuator was never replaced so we replaced that, (15k miles ago), radiator has been power washed clean with oil cooler off, fan has been tested to be working properly (not just spinning), but the truck still over heats.

Not only does the truck overheat, I lose coolant. No leaks anywhere. Here's the goofy/frustrating part.

I can run the truck at about 65mph and I run at about 215 and don't lose coolant. If I go above 65 but below 70, I run hot at 220-225 and lose coolant. Faster I go, hotter it runs and lose more coolant. I would like to be able to cruise at 75 (truck easily can handle it).

We replaced the thermostat again just to be sure, no difference. Was told there is no aftermarket that operates at a lower temperature. International one opens at 192.

There is no signs of coolant being pushed out the overflow tank. My thought is, the truck runs very hot and is basically boiling or burning up the coolant. The big question is what is causing it to run this hot?

We own a moving company and take it all over the country. Approximately 1,500 miles one way. I hate to keep adding coolant, not only is it not fixing the problem, it's expensive and not good for the engine running that hot.

I'm sure we have done more to the truck then I can currently remember, but am looking for any suggestions or possibilities.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Take off both main coolant pipes between the engine and rad and make sure they aren't collapsed internally or a something like a rag isn't stuck inside restricting the flow.

4. AffordableRelocation

Aug 16, 2020
    Sylvania, OH
    Ok, I'll have the mechanic check that all out. Going in for a PM tomorrow. I believe the main hoses are new, but definitely worth a shot. Not to also say something that has already been replaced is failing....but I figure a little less likely.....

5. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    viscous fan clutch or air?

6. AffordableRelocation

Aug 16, 2020
    Sylvania, OH
    Fan clutch.

I'm by far any type of mechanic and am very limited in knowledge/ability. My mechanic claims he tested it and it is operating properly. Any way for me to easily check it myself?

7. AffordableRelocation

Aug 16, 2020
    Sylvania, OH
    I've even thought of adding an additional electric fan operated by a switch, but there isn't any room to add one wit the fan assembly in the rear of radiator and the oil cooler in the front of it.

Don't know if it's possible to increase the overflow tank size and if so, if that would even make a difference.

8. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    I own and operate a fleet of school buses 4 of have dt466e and viscous fan clutch. They are really short geared, they typically run at 2000rpm at 55mph. They will run hot, upwards of 210f on long highway sections. The bi metal spring that gets hot and moves the spool valve to engage the clutch is prone to gunk up with road grime. I stick a can of brake cleans and my arm in front of the fan yearly to keep it clean.
    The spring is adjustable. I've had decent luck by adjusting mine to engage earlier.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    AffordableRelocation Thanks this.
  9. AffordableRelocation

Aug 16, 2020
    Sylvania, OH
    I appreciate the suggestion, I will have the mechanic try that out as well.

10. hatchhero

hatchhero Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Did U ever fix this issue?

11. Ocee

Ocee Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Was issue ever fixed and how? Having same problem

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.