International Prosatar/Maxxforce: Worthless junk!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by diesel_weasel, Feb 7, 2010.

1. diesel_weasel

diesel_weasel Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    For a while there i thought I was the only one that had problems with this rolling scrapheap, thanks for telling the truth!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. diesel_weasel

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    And you come in here spewing even more political bs. And for the record I STARTED this thread. No I don't miss Jimmy. Or George Jr. or Senior. Or Ronnie. Or Slick Willie. Just because I hate Al Gore please don't assume that I'm a blind one-track Republican.

Nice try in your vain attempt to get under my skin. Yes we were talking about an engine on a truck, and these pi$$-poor MODERN ENGINES are a result of AL GORE'S along with many others moronic mother earth worshiping ideology. And if Regan started it you can't deny Al Gore and morons like Greenpeace helped to further it. I own three vehicles with V8 engines, and support global warming as much as possible during my hometime.

Just a thought!

4. I CAN'T IMAGINE an owner operator buying one of these nightmares. "An additional waste gate on the second turbo charger?" ;-) ;-) That'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. How freaking many radiators did he say this pile of garbage has on it?:biggrin_2559: I'd LOVE to see someone track down a coolant leak on this thing. You can't even find the engine in this video. What a serviceability screw up!! My '96 is looking better and better to me!:biggrin_2559: The funniest thing is how this guy is actually acting proud of this complicated, high maintenance, diagnostic nightmare! Enhanced EGR. The best way to enhance EGR is to remove it. I'll either be re-building my old truck or buying a glider kit. These pieces of crap they're hoisting on us now are completely out of the question for me.

diesel_weasel Thanks this.
  5. diesel_weasel

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    From what I've heard your company isn't meeting emissions standards with the Maxxforce anyway, and they are buying carbon credits.

6. diesel_weasel

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    Paddletrucker: How freaking many radiators did he say this pile of garbage has on it?

I forgot to bring up the fact that in cold weather, If you coast or go down a long hill, mountain, etc. the coolant temperature usually drops below 140. Also When idling in the winter time, in temps below freezing, the thing can barely maintain 150. If its below zero outside, it will still heat the cab and sleeper ok but will barely register any heat on the coolant temp gauge. So cold oil and coolant circulating in the motor and turbos for hours on end. The genius service manager from the dealer tried to tell me to avoid idling. For Christ's sake, we're in Central Minnesota!!! The thing had no APU either. Doesn't sound too good for short or long term reliability.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. Rnz520

Rnz520 Bobtail Member

May 4, 2010
    Fredericksburg, VA, USA
    From a technicians standpoint that thing looks like a nightmare.

8. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    the 2010 engine is way nicer to work on then the 07 engine. This is a prostar short nose chassis, The longer nose is nicer to work on. I dont know why they went to twin turbo when a vgt would be way better, weight and serviceability. i didn't design it i just have to work on it. Gutless and worthless. I wouldn't go that far, they seem to be holding there own from what im seeing with the fleets that im dealing with. the engine brake on the 07 engine sucked. 2010 has an actual jake. Just comparing this engine it looks actually quite similar to a dd13-15

9. I'd go that far and farther. Gutless? Without a doubt, the two I've driven were disgraceful. Worthless? Well, I can just imagine the worth of that engine to an owner after it's got about 600,000 on it and pouring money into diagnostics and trying to keep all of those unnecessary components operating. NO thanks.

Maybe from a mechanic's standpoint. From a driver's standpoint, that Maxxforce engine doesn't hold a candle to ANY detroit engine. And I'm not a Detroit guy, my truck has a Cat. The one in the truck I just turned in didn't pull as well as the old 11.1 Detroits. Not even close. Oh, and I just loved the 5.8 mpg it got me pulling less than 60,000 pounds the last three days at 63 mph, too. What a joke. Sorry, but that Navistar engine is a screw up from the frame up. I've driven the 15 liter and was a LONG DARN WAY from being impressed and this last truck had the 13 liter. It WASN'T EVEN FUNNY how gutless that thing was. I'd say it was border line dangerous to have in traffic. It might as well have had an old Ford 300 straight 6 cylinder in it. At least you can work on those.

From the standpoint of a guy who pays for the repairs, you couldn't give me one of those pieces of crap. I jokingly said I wouldn't trade my old '96 for three of those things, or something like that. I guess I would, however, so that I could trade ALL of them in on ONE new glider kit with a PRE EGR re-man engine!!

Navistar ought to be embarrassed that they paid engineers and all they came up with was this waste of scrap metal.

10. diesel_weasel

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    I guess one good thing about the Maxxforce 13 is it is very smooth and quiet. I still compare to the old Acert c13 as far as power goes, maybe even a little bit worse. I would have like to have tried one with a 13 speed. 10 speed is a useless slug transmission, even in a truck that has power. The fuel economy on mines was pretty good in the midwest, bet in the mountains and running west It was almost as bad as our old C15's

11. lovemytrucker

lovemytrucker Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Middletown, CA
    Hi Guys -

I may be way out of place on this thread, as I don't know a darn thing about all the tech engine stuff, but I do have a very good sense of smell. Maybe the gov officials in charge of all the emissions regulations should visit a crowded truck stop in Texas on a muggy, mid-July night, and then take a good whiff. You hard-working fellas can only drive for 11 hours, the other 13 you can sit and swelter (or freeze!) or run your trucks. So most of you run your trucks. Anti-idling laws aren't the answer, APU"s are! Maybe with all the money the government's been handing out, they can hand out a "stimulus" for every truck to come equipped with an APU - or at least give every company a healthy tax break for installing one, on either an old or a new truck.

Listen, do you hear that? In every truck stop in every town across America, it's the sound of - quiet! And what's that smell? Oh, it's just the fresh air and the french fries! If every single one of you had the ability to shut your trucks down for 13 hours and still maintain humane conditions, it would drastically reduce fuel consumption, air pollution, and noise pollution, not to mention better-rested, safer drivers. APU's on all trucks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.