International vs. Kenworth/Peterbilt - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by AIV LLC, Aug 5, 2022.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Brockway is way too low on that list

I can call kw and still order parts for our 1976 and have them that day if I drive to get them or next morning if they over night them, the difference between 4 hours and 4 days of down time is huge….

we have one Mack left, 237 with a 6 speed on camel back, but it does have power steering, can’t wait for the the day my uncle finally lets us give that bill dog the ole yeller treatment….

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    You maybe onto something here.
    And you have humor.
    Lots of humor.
    Very enjoyable reading.
    While I may share your feelings about Pete, there is a huge crowd that just buy them.
    Resale value on any Pete is higher than the value on any Volvo.
    I love Volvos but I'm the first one to admit that they are overengineering them into oblivion.
    Fake common rail fuel systems?
    Hollow camshafts?
    The list is long and scary for whoever owns a 2018+ Volvos.
    The best Volvo of all generations was 2001 just before EGR adoption.
    D12D 11.7 Liters.
    With an Eaton Fuller 13 speed and Meritor disk brakes.
    465HP 1650 TQ pulling 80k on PA hills to NYC like a champ.
    7.5 MPG at 72 MPH.
    The engine was a pure Swedish princess.
    The rest USA products. The trans and axles.
    Still miss that truck.

4. Shadow Milo

Shadow Milo Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2022
    For the next GEN Kenworth and Peterbilt stay away because of a widespread defect of the
    SHIFTER STALK Q21-6155-211 And this on national backorder. In short truck will not shift into gears you also lose your Jake brake going downhill.
    To the original post international have a bad problem with the steering arm [and Steer box] that you need to replace because it wouldn’t turn as much of course there’s a whole MaxForce thing which finally died.
    I would say freightliner, parts are relatively available off subject but my mentor didn’t mention kenworth don’t like to honor the warranty and I am experienced it firsthand versus a new body Freightliner always taken care of.
    If you want luxury With reliability then I say western star
    Volvo have the best turning radius you can turn on a two-lane highway
    Kenworth has one of the worst turning radius however May turn like a cruiser Ship but as the most comfortable in my opinion. as a site note if you’re expecting the truck 8 airbag suspension Only good for the heavy stuff basically anything north of 30k or the heavier the load the smoother ride anything less it’s a bit stiff to offset it you might want to get a little bit longer wheelbase of course the opposite is true of four airbag suspension

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Reason for edit: Forget to add Steer box sorry meant to say freightliner not freak
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    There just has to be more to this story. Most of what you say has nothing to do with the truck, but rather someone that you despise who happens to own a Pete.

Not that it matters, but my old 89 378 spent the first half of its life in Oregon hauling logs, and is now our lowboy tractor. It has been good. There's probably a lot of old Transtars out there still working too.

You have the same narrow minded attitude about engines, and spew the same misinformation about parts availability and price. Just curious, for a guy that would never drive a Pete, how are you such an expert on their prices and availability?

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I love these kinds of threads. Kenworth "what?" has a terrible turning radius? My previous truck was a Kenworth and would turn on a dime. It was so easy to set up for backing into a hole made rookies look like pros. But I'd still take my current Freightliner over it. Now on the other hand, I don't think I'd take any modern day Freightliner over my current Freightliner or any other truck for that matter.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Never seen a KW with crappy turn radius. Turns just as good as anything else I've been around.

8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    The older 900s didn't turn too sharp. I think maybe some of that is still in people's minds.

9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    they went to wide track front axles in the 90s, the only people #####ing about turning radius are the clowns that like to touch the trailer to the cab and spin so hard trailer tires spin in opposite directions rather then doing a 3 point at a non suspension destroying shallower angle.

10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    My International turns just fine as well.

Another Canadian driver and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Kenworth wouldn't be one of the most popular brand for hauling logs on the west coast if they couldn't make it around the switchbacks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.