Internet use could kill off local newspapers, study finds

Discussion in 'Other News' started by firstcav, Aug 17, 2007.

1. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    News audiences are ditching television and newspapers and using the Internet as their main source of information, in a trend that could eventually see the demise of local papers, according to a new study Wednesday.

"As online use has increased, the audiences of older media have declined," Harvard University professor Thomas Patterson said in a report on the year-long study issued by Harvard's Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy.

"In the past year alone... newspaper circulation has fallen by three percent, broadcast news has lost a million viewers," said the study, entitled "Creative Destruction: An Exploratory Look and News on the Internet."

Meanwhile, the numbers of people using the Internet as a news source have increased -- exponentially, in some cases.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070816211426.guamdbxe&show_article=1

Think about all the trees that are being saved. I don't feel so guilty about driving my SUV any more. The amount of time I spend on the internet neuralizes the carbon foot print of my Envoy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Yep, the cloud of dust kicked up by my Suburban helps shield the earth from harmful UV rays.

4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Once I got on the internet along time ago, my subscription to the newspaper quit.

Now I see some newspapers out there are only posting a couple of articles and info and if you want the rest...got to get the paper.

5. rwings

rwings <strong>"Jet Force"</strong>

Sep 7, 2006
    Portales, NM
    Once I started reading the news on the Internet, I quit watching the news on TV. You can go to places like the Drudge report, read the headlines and decide what you want to read about. Or you could spend a great deal of time watching the news on TV and they may not even talk about what your interested in.
    :biggrin_25519:

6. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Most papers are junk anyway. Big City papers are full of rapes and accidents and "knife and gun club participants" as my nurse wife likes to say.
    Wall Street Journal and Christian Science Monitor are the only two worth reading. Maybe the old hometown Chicago Trib for Bears news.

7. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006
    This must be a Ric Romero report.

8. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    I still like to read the paper in the morning. Mostly a coffee ritual. I have noticed that as I scan the headlines, most of them are last night's on-line news. Yes, I can see how the newspaper printing business might be a little off.

9. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    That's the real problem. News happens fast and the paper news source can't really compete with today digital media. By the time the Newspaper gets it printed and distributed, it's already old news. Where newspapers have the advantage over internet news is the details, and better reporting. Like Cybergal said, the websites have the headlines, and you read the article, but sometimes you feel like you're missing some of the details of the story, and if you read the sources of the websites it's normally comming from a printed news source.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.