Interstate 11 Vegas to Phoenix and the SW in general....

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Phenomenal, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    I just finished watching a youtube video of a OTR trucker traveling through the southwest US. He posts all his routes on youtube. I was just wondering, and please excuse the stupid question, but as a soon-to-be OTR trucker, I wanna get myself down there ASAP. That is some beautiful country and the roads are wide open through the deserts. Is there a lot of competition for those routes? I have to imagine if you had the choice between the northeast and southwest the SW would win every time !! Thanks in advance.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No, if you're with the right carrier, you'll see plenty of all of the southwest. But keep in mind there are lots of carriers who will never go anywhere near the southwest so you'll want to choose your home location and and carrier carefully if you're looking to avoid a region or concentrate on a region..

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    First get through the training. Find out the big IF of if you can handle the life style of trucking. Not everyone can handle the life of trucking. Get that done and get on the road. Southwest tends to be good for miles with lots of emptyness. Yet there are parts of I-80 that feature the same. At some point you WILL have to drive in snow. California does get snow, so if your trying to avoid winter driving, your in for a surprise.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Not much compared to the rest of the country,

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  6. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Interstate 11 is so new i didnt know it existed til you mentioned it and i looked it up.

It’s old hwy 93. When i first started taking 93 to vegas in 1995 as a greyhound driver, it was dangerous.

There were crosses on each curve to indicate ppl killed in crashes.

You could safely do 70 though. At night passengers have tunnel vision and could just look down the aisle and see thru the windshield.

There were curves that, passengers would freak out on, it would look like we’re going to crash into a wall of mountain, with a dozen crosses in front of us, and at last second, turn away from it.

Loved it, you could hear your passengers gasping for air. Once in awhile you’d get some college kid chanting: “faster, faster”.

They eventually widened it and took all the dangerous curves and turned it into a nice highway.

Oxbow and Phenomenal Thank this.
  7. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    That's reefer country if you want to run it
    all the time.
    That also means produce and grocery wharehouses.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's Hoover Dam east of there going to Vegas to the west.

If you really want a trip, check out the lights of the city 40 miles before you even see it at night coming from Dam. What a dam. Dam it all...

he he he.

You fixing to have yourself a ADVENTURE out there around the USA. Boy howdy I hope you like it.

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I don't remember 93 ever being particularly curvy, or windy, They added a bunch of bridges and curbing < I delivered the powder for the bridges to the Precision Aggregate cement plants while the bridges projects on 93 were being put in. Both sides of 40 and the bridge in front of the dam.

IndianaF150, x1Heavy and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  10. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    93 was deadly from wickenburg to kingman.

7-UP and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    There were parts of 93 that were so narrow it was common to trade mirrors with opposing trucks on the dam. Yes it was very windy and winding.

IndianaF150 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.