Interstate Carrier operating Intrastate

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Power_Guy369, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Power_Guy369

Power_Guy369 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Good morning,
    I am trying to clarify a few points with Interstate vs. Intrastate regulations, specifically in Texas. The company I work for is based in Florida, and my home terminal is in Texas. The vehicles I dispatch are registered in Florida. 90% of our transport stays Intrastate inside Texas. My corporate office is suddenly telling me that our vehicles, even when operating Intrastate, are subject to Federal rules, rather than the rules adopted by Texas for Intrastate commerce. However, when I question them, they cannot intelligently point to a statute/rule/law that backs this up. Can anyone please help me with this? For the purposes of this question, I am only asking about Intrastate. I am aware that Interstate requires full FMCSA compliance.

Thanks, J

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What do you haul from where to where? The reason I'm asking is just because your leg is Intrastate, does not mean the cargo you haul is. For example if you pick up a can in Laredo and deliver in Dallas that came across from Mexico, that product is interstate as it crossed state lines.
    On the same token, if you pick up say sand in Waco, haul it to an oil site in Midland, that would be Intrastate. It's 100% dependent on the origin of the shipment and destination, not where you are picking up/taking to.
    Now on the other hand, if you pick up from a cross dock in Laredo, and the BOL states shipper is the ctoss dock, delivering to Dallas, then that would be Intrastate. It doesn't matter how the product got the the cross dock, it's a new shipment at that point.

Power_Guy369 Thanks this.
  4. Power_Guy369

Power_Guy369 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Thanks for the question ZVar.
    We are a rental/service company. Our equipment is stored in a warehouse here in Dallas, shipped to the customers site, and picked up and returned to Dallas once finished. The key here that makes this such a vital question for my operation is that all of our vehicles are between 10k and 26k GVWR/GCWR. By Federal law, these are CMV's. However, TX law(when driving Intrastate) defines a CMV as one that has GVW, GVWR, or GCWR over 26k lbs.

Thanks, J

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The FLA registration on the equipment, and ownership of the company may come into their decision.as you are the subsidiary location, your moves can possibly be considered as interstate in origin.

I don't think TX PUC can impose intrastate rules onto a vehicle from another state; you are moving you own stuff not goods for others.

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I believe the company has decided to err on the side of caution. As you stated, 90% stays within Texas but that means 10% is Interstate. Your company has decided to operate as an Interstate carrier all the time to avoid conflicts in hours of service and commercial driver qualifications for the 10% of the time they operate outside Texas.

Nothing in the regs say they have to use the more permissive rules that Texas affords to Intrastate operations, although they will still have to comply with all applicable TX DOT operating authority requirements for the instate moves.

DrDieselUSA and WiggleWagon Thank this.
  7. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    I am seeing this as they have several locations in many states, or at least two. I would assume they are following interstate rules as one way to ensure everything is legal across the board. Are you pulling a trailer? Tx also says three or more axles regardless of weight.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. Bossman7482

Bossman7482 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Im having the same issue here in Texas as well. We move containers from Amarillo to the rail in Dallas or port in Houston. Because of the cargo's destination which is overseas, Ibhad to register under interstate. But what you are saying is it all depends on what the BOL says. If the shipper states that it is going from Amarillo to Dallas rather than Amarillo to Hong Kong on the BOL would that make the move intrastate?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.