Intrastate or interstate authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 66seven, May 18, 2024.

1. 66seven

66seven Bobtail Member

May 9, 2024
    I’m thinking of getting my own authority but to haul only in my state . There is tons of dry van freight paying pretty well locally but Im not sure if I should be getting an interstate or intrastate. I hear with an intrastate authority it gets tricky the kind of freight you can haul depending on the end destination of said freight. Can anyone give me some clarification or advice?

NightWind Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    If you're going to go through all the authority process, etc. might as well do Interstate. That way you can pull where ever if need be. Will cost you about the same i believe in expenses to get started. Intrastate...you're confined to your state alone.

66seven and RefMata Thank this.
  4. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    If the freight originates or ultimately delivers outside of your state you are technically required to have interstate authority. Regardless of where you pick it up. How closely is this enforced? Probably not very much. Intrastate can be cheap and simple depending on your state. Running cost can be considerably less. No ifta, no apportioned tag, no elogs, physical and drug testing. The last three depend solely on what your state requires. It will vary from state to state. Insurance requirements may be cheaper. Insurance premiums will be cheaper. You will not be subject to federal dot rules and standards, but you will be subject to state rules and standards.

In a big state like Texas, California, Florida you can probably do well with just intrastate. In a state like South Carolina, Connecticut, New Jersey it would probably be difficult

5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Intrastate has NOTHING to do with the loads you can haul. It simply means that you cannot cross state lines to load, unload period, unless of course you get a permit for aforesaid mentioned load. Interstate means that you can cross state lines. Your MSC150 is where you decide what you will haul and you have to file that with either type of authority. Your insurance company will look at your MSC150 as well to help determine your insurance rates

Bean Jr., 66seven and Truckermania Thank this.
  6. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Interstate and intrastate are not the same cost wise. Interstate requires IFTA and quarterly filings whereas intrastate does not. The tag cost for a county tag to run intrastate is about $400 less than the apportioned tag in my state of AL. Also you will have to have agents in each state for interstate and do not for intrastate

Bean Jr., 66seven and Bud A. Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you have intrastate authority how can you shag loads that are originating or ending in a different state? It’s no different than someone who is under 21 and can’t engage in interstate commerce in my mine.

If you’re picking up a load to unload at a warehouse and it continues on to the final after being loaded onto a different trailer that’s fine, but you can’t shag a preloaded trailer that’s leaving the state to a drop yard for another truck to pick up, that’s interstate commerce.

Or does intrastate authority have different rules than someone being under the age of 21?

66seven and ElmerFudpucker Thank this.
  8. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    I pretty sure you have to have interstate authority to haul containers for this very reason. You may pick them up in your state and deliver in your state, but it originated from outside your state or is destined outside your state. Making it interstate commerce.

66seven Thanks this.
  9. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    READ the POST for the love of all that is good and holy and answer the question this isn't a debate.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/what-difference-between-interstate-commerce-and-intrastate-commerce

exhausted379, 66seven and Concorde Thank this.
  10. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/what-difference-between-interstate-commerce-and-intrastate-commerce

66seven, Concorde and Numb Thank this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If ifta isn't required for locals.

Why do they have it?

I haven't worked for one local that DIDN'T have ifta.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.