Intrastate or Interstate port of entry?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by snowflake1, Apr 5, 2018.

1. snowflake1

snowflake1 Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    mn

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    thanks stiker i agree with finding a company to act as my broker because of my lack of experience in intermodal. dsk333 i tend to ignore such serious one line statements when there is no information or examples to back it up. making such a serious statement for others wanting to learn and not providing proof or context is really irresponsible. i still would like to know however if it is possible to use another another companys scac (if doing business with them) to pick up containers at port? i realize you must be interstate to accept the container. can it then be brokered to an intrastate carrier after that since the business is all in one state. no miles have been driven in another state?

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Ignore it all you want. The freight is interstate so therefore under Federal control. Just because some places are playing paper trail games doesn't make it legal. One day you'll get caught and you'll be on here crying about it.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    playing paper trail games? what are you talking about? your statements have no educational value with the topic at hand. hope you dont offer any more information to this thread.

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Sure. The law is very clear. I hope you get caught and lose your authority.

What is the difference between interstate commerce and intrastate commerce?

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    besides making no point in what you write, i am beginning to think there is something wrong with you. wishing someone loses their authority. you must have not had enough love in your life. another pointless response.

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    What is the difference between interstate commerce and intrastate commerce?

If you perform trade, traffic, or transportation exclusively in your business’s domicile state, this is considered intrastate commerce.

If your trade, traffic, or transportation is one of the following, this is considered interstate commerce. Source: 49 CFR 390.5.:

• Between a place in a state and a place outside of such state (including a place outside of the United States)
    • Between two places in a state through another state or a place outside of the United States
    • Between two places in a state as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the state or the United States
    https://ask.fmcsa.dot.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/249

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    i do not need an education on what interstate and intrastate are. that was not what this thread was started for. you provided the law for interstate but do not know how to interpret it. yes two places meaning entering the state and leaving the state(driving) but not loading and unloading in the same state which is considered intrastate as i am sure you know. i can go on but i will allow you to review your own post and hopefully educate yourself. ugh!

11. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    now i realize that ports are interstate because the shipment has not been claimed yet and in theory still in flux between water and land. So if a interstate carrier claims the shipment to finalize it being on (in this case) texas soil. Can an interstate carrier then allow a intrastate carrier to pickup and deliver the load that is all done in texas by giving the carrier their scac code. The payment goes to the interstate carrier then pays the intrastate carrier(lesser amount). nothing sneaky about it. not stealing from the shipper, bumping weight, lying to anyone, cheating logs, ect.. shipment is getting delivered and intrastate driver is staying in texas start to finish.

12. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
  13. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    That is simply masking the true nature of the shipment. The regulations are very clear, it is the intent of the original shipper and the freight itself that makes the difference in interstate vs. intrastate commerce. The only way to legally hand off an interstate shipment to an intrastate only carrier is if you operate exclusively in an exempt intra-city zone, or the freight has gone to a cross dock and been broken down, reworked and packaged as a new shipment. That is how UPS, FedEx and the rest do it, they work as freight forwarders at their docks to make new or consolidate shipments. Even then, they have interstate authority on their trucks for the times they don't meet the requirements to convert a piece of freight from interstate to intrastate.

What is the big deal about reinstating your MC number or applying for one if you never had one? It is $300 and possibly a new entrant audit. You have all the same compliance issues intrastate as you do interstate, except the insurance filing and you will need compliant insurance anyhow. Why play in the grey areas and try to skirt the intent of the regulations when compliance is almost a non-issue? I know Texas intrastate has some easier hours of service regulations but other than that their compliance requirements mirror the FMCSA.

• Truckers Report Jobs