Inverter— Appliances that will/will not work

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Krkapotts, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Don't mind him. He blocks everybody so he doesn't realize your questions were answered.

Krkapotts Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Jeesh man I am little shocked! My friend runs his entire truck on a 3k inverter! But he does not curl his hair LOL!

Crazy how much power that thing is demanding!

Krkapotts Thanks this.
  4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    To be fair, a hair drier does draw an enormous amount of power and I was assuming, before researching it, that a curling iron might do the same because of the heating elements, but no. 85 watts.

Krkapotts and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  5. Krkapotts

Krkapotts Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I’m curious because it says that this appliance “runs on an alternating current (50/60 Hz). This unit is designed to be operated at 120v AC”. I’m not an electrician but I’m not sure if the “alternating current” has anything to do with why the barrel turns but it doesn’t heat up.

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Its a complicated subject. The gist of it is that regular wall power is a smooth rounded wave with a specific RMS calculated voltage output per wave. Modified sine wave mimics the total power output by switching on and off, positive and negative, to put out equal power, but it is a square wave which can cause problems in certain power supplies.

Krkapotts Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.