Inverter low voltage alarm goes off every night

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by twelve25oh9, Dec 14, 2021.

1. twelve25oh9

twelve25oh9 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    I can’t figure out a way around this. When I run opti idle, and I have to because I need power to my fridge, my inverter alarm goes off almost every time the truck starts itself. I’ve hooked up the little remote to the inverter and it tells me it’s the low voltage alarm. So, basically every single night, every time the opti idle starts the truck, which is about 3 or 4 times a night, I have to wake up and flip the inverter off and back on, which shuts it up until the next time. This can’t possibly be how it’s designed to act. To be clear, it never goes off before the truck turns on, only immediately after. Someone told me it could be that the alarm is set to go off at a higher voltage than the truck is set to turn on at, but that only makes sense if the alarm goes off BEFORE the truck kicks on. It seems to have something to do with the sudden and brief loss of power between the truck being “on” and the truck “running”. Like how when you turn the key from the on position to the ignition position, the radio and gauges do a power cycle. Is there anything I can do? I’ve asked this before, but I was brand new to my truck and thought I’d try asking again now that I have a little more information. This is really messing with my sleep night after night and I really want to fix it. Any help is appreciated.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    When the starter is turning it basically takes all the power from batteries. So their is not enough power to keep inverter going plus power demand to power your fridge.

I had 2018 truck with factory inventer it could not even power CPAP machine keep it running when Opti idle would start even. My company shop hooked up hair dryer to inverter to drain, batteries to test if truck would start at low voltage cut out on inverter. Most times the low voltage warning for inverter would go off. The truck would not start automatically because the front dash display would still show like 12.3 or 12.2 volts.

I solved my problem by getting rechargeable batteries that works as uninterruptible power supply. It plugs into 12v power in truck. I'm not trying to power a fridge so it work good.

You could look at a different fridge. They sell special low power fridge for camping. That plug into 12v plugs. My current company truck has the factory fridge and it's not powered by the inverter. So maybe you can get the factory fridge or you be better off getting one of those special camping off gride fridge.

Something like this might work. It can plug into 12v to recharge but if the fridge is drawing more power. A bigger version of this is needed or one of those special camping fridges that can plug into 12v for 24/7 usage. They are $800-$1000 for a bigger one.

4. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    It’s because of the voltage drop when the starter engages. Basically nothing you can do about it. You can shut the inverter off when you go to bed, but that’s about your only option.

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    My question is WHY is the trucks opti-idle even starting the truck to charge the batteries 3-4 times a night....???

I have a dorm size fridge (3.2 ft) and with it running all night. My cell charger running all night, mifi charger running all night. My 32" TV running 3hrs and my Playstation running 3hrs and my voltage never drops below 12.6v.

Sounds like you need new batteries

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Oops 2x post

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  7. twelve25oh9

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    Maybe, because I’m running the same size fridge and phone charger, white noise through the speakers, nothing else. I’ll have my batteries tested. Thanks for the input.

8. twelve25oh9

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks for the advice. I literally bought this fridge 2 weeks ago and really don’t want anything less because it’s been a big time money saver for me. I looked into the camping fridges before I bought this one and they just don’t have enough capacity. My goal is to eat as little truck stop for as possible. Thank you, all the same!

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

What inverter do you have? I've found that the optiidle has a stupid amount of draw on the batteries. Like with optiidle on my inverter would shut up (ya... my company has our trucks setup very dumb.) after about 8-10 hours but with it off I'd get 14 with the same load.

Do you just have the 4 batteries? Or the full 8? Normally its only 4 unless it has the AC unit strapped to the back of the cab.My quoted numbers are with a 2017 Cascadia. Eaten 1800w inverter. 8 newish batteries. Factory fridge. Not running the AC or the Bunk heater.

I know on the eaton inverter I can change the voltage that alarms are set off. As well as just disable the audible part of the alarm. I had an issue with an old truck that the auto start would clip the inverter and was just annoying so I disabled the fact that it would make noise.

10. twelve25oh9

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    Not sure what kind of inverter but there are no controls of any sort on it. I’m just going to have to learn to deal with it. Thanks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.