IRP registration sales tax exempt?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Jun 1, 2017.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I have this questions because

When I purchased new truck and registered it under IRP unit at DMV they voided check of SALES TAX sent from the out of state dealer. They told me I do not pay sales tax when I do IRP registration

Is this information correct cause I could not find any supporting source in internet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Depends on your state, some do exempt motor carriers from sales and use tax while others do not. If your state DMV voided the check then I would guess CT is sales tax exempt for motor carriers. I know PA is, if you have to buy parts or service in PA give the shop your MC number and they will fill out a sales tax exemption form and you won't pay the 6%.

Be sure to let the dealer know they check was voided so you can have a refund for the sales tax amount from them.

csmith1281 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    It's suppose to be that way for all Interstate carriers across the country regardless of state because it is considered hindering interstate commerce. Now if you do Intrastate work, then you would have to pay sales tax on your truck.

csmith1281 and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.