IRP renewal cost?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by murat, Oct 3, 2015.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    This year IRP changed where you no longer have to pay estimated miles in states where you are not running. You only pay for states where you have had miles, much like IFTA. This year I paid a little over $1,300. I think that I paid about $2,200 last year. Until this year carriers were penalized for not having miles in states. It was very punitive. It is much more fair how it is done now. Your IRP is based upon the percentage of miles you run in each state. We can no longer exempt ourselves from states in which you run. We now have 48 states and Canada, whether we want them or not. It is actually better in that you don't have to add states if a good load comes along going to a state where you are not apportioned. You can now fill out your IRP online in Tennessee and other states. It saves time and makes it easier to obtain your renewal. You can fill out the form and then print out your bill or wait for them to mail it to you. I usually just drive to Nashville in case something gets crossed in the mail. I have gotten to know a few people in both the IRP and IFTA office over the years and that can help to make things run smoother.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I have the answer now from the state.I was just concerned that I had only driven 9000 miles and was being charged $1800. The way I understand it is I owe the $1800 even if I would have drove just 100 miles.They just take the states I drove in and then divide the percentage of the money by the miles I drove in each state.Example would be if I had drove 50 miles in Iowa ans 50 in Nebraska they both would have received $900.00.

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    That is correct.

Sort of. Each state charges its own registration fee based on weight. For 80,000 lbs in California that fee is ~$2200. For TN that might be $1300. If you drove half your miles in CA and half in TN, you would owe half of what a plate costs in CA ($1100) and half of what a plate costs in TN ($650) -- regardless of whether you drove 100,000 or 100 miles.

20151007_053940.png

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    murat Thanks this.
  5. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    so basically, for the states we didnt drive in we put 0 or leave it blank? and for the states we drove in we put actual number? or does a random number show up?

6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You put the miles you drive in the appropriate state box, all other boxes are either left blank, or whatever your state requires. You use your IFTA miles, if you do not know how to record those, you can really get screwed at renewal time. A pen and paper is all that is required, if you do it daily/weekly, write the milage down, you will be fine. If you are depending on an ap or computer program, don't go there. Old school is best, pen and paper. Been there, and done that, and it was not fun in the least. Figure on $2000 for a tag, or plate.

4noReason Thanks this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Just use the mileage on your ifta quarterly reports.

TallJoe and 4noReason Thank this.
  8. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    we have trackers. but i write down my miles every day and record it thx 4 info

9. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    Nebraska just ask you now while your filing if you want to use your IFTA mileage and they automatically use it.

4noReason Thanks this.
  10. BobNWe

BobNWe Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Just under 1800 is how much i got used to paying regardless of the mileage. They charge for all states here whether u regional otr or local

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    The way TN is, you report your miles from July 1 to June 30 of the previous year. My TN tags are due April 1, It used to be that all commercial tags were due April 1, but I think that has changed in recent years. What I do is take the mileage from the report I use to calculate my IRS 2290 (which is the same dates as the IRP). You just use the previous year's mileage based on 2290 mileage.

The main thing is to make sure the mileage is the same on IRP and IFTA. That's a sure way do raise a flag and get a audit, and you will face assessments because those numbers have to add up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.