Is 10 MPG Possible with a Fully Loaded (80K gross) 5 Axle Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dice1, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    6x2 is a three-axle tractor with only one of the rear axles being driven.

This guy
    http://sliceoftruckerlife.com/blogs/henry-albert/
    is running a Cascadia with a 6x2 configuration and he's getting a little over 9 mpg, although he normally doesn't run heavy.
    DDEC Report: http://sliceoftruckerlife.com/blogs/henry-albert/2011/06/16/ddec-report-3/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tightwad

Tightwad Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Tractor
    Cascadia or Prostar Glider (If you can get them to sell one)
    6 x 2
    Super Singles - Highway Tread (No Lugs!)
    Full Skirts
    Minimized air gap with bellows.
    Full Wheel Covers
    C15 or 12.7L Series 60 Detroit with optimized Programming.
    Low Restriction Intake and Exhaust.
    Synthetic 5W30 Oil
    Synthetic 50 Transmission Lube
    Synthetic 75W90 Axle Lube
    Thermostatically controlled coolers to optimize drivetrain temps
    Direct Drive geared for 1200 rpm (Cat) or 1300 rpm (S60) at 55 mph.
    Polished and Coated Wheel Bearings
    Cab Adjustable Ride Height and Angle of Attack (Requires Air Ride Front Axle).

Trailer
    Slick Side 53' with rounded corners.
    Super Singles
    Polished and Coated Wheel Bearings
    Full Skirting
    Boat Tail
    Full Wheel Covers
    Cab Adjustable Ride Height

I may have left a few things out but thats what I can think of right now.

3rd Gen Driver Thanks this.
  4. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Less drag and friction equals better MPG.

Makes since.

Henry is from my old hometown Statesville, NC and is running all the aero stuff on his truck and trailer too.

5. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Something just reminded of a conversation with one my friends that work for a NASCAR team and he told about lower rear end temps even when running a lighter weight oil in the rear end with the polished and coated rear end gears and bearings.

Lighter oil would equal less drag or rolling resitance that would equate to higher MPG that would not risk maintanence issues by using lighter weight oil.

Something to think about.

You NASCAR fans hardly hear of tranny or rear end failures anymore due to this technology.

I have another friend who works for Rousch Racing in the parts department for all the teams and they get special bearing hub packages from Timken that have been micro polished and coated at Timken. Sad Timken does not letus have this technology too.

6. Manny129

Manny129 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Its called HHO. On Board Hydrogen Generators can create Hydrogen and be burned with the truck. They run off the alternators or an onboard generator (The Higher the output of electricity, the more amount of Hydrogen produced. Hydrogen can burn like diesel, it burns more efficient as well. No mods to the engine, just the generator hooked up + and -, then the tube carrying the produced hydrogen to your air intake. I know a guy who has a small one on his truck. He is getting a Large MPG increase with his 2004 Volvo D12.

Here is him on Youtube: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWd1H1C3Oc&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

7. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Been there done that over 3 years ago. Took it off for a full refund after using only 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

Technology not ready yet or even proven it can work!

If you buy one, make sure it is made of stainless steel with a large capacity tank with automatic fail safe devices for too high temperture and low electrolyte or you will have major problems. Takes alot of energy to make for what you get back out of it.

Pittsburgh Power was even working on a unit and abandoned the project because it would not work efficiently.

8. Manny129

Manny129 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Try Dry Cell, there much more efficient. I dont have one on my truck but on my Harley.

9. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    After looking at the track on Google Maps, I am seriously unimpressed. The track looks flat and the average speed was 47 mph. I've averaged 6.5 mpg pulling a 3 axle refer grossing 87k, driving from Sumner WA to Spokane. There are 3 major climbs,Tiger, Snoqualmie pass, and the grades by Vantage.

Give me a big flat circle at 47mph and I could hit 10 or better.

10. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    "Been there done that over 3 years ago. Took it off for a full refund after using only 3 weeks."

I know that HHO systems work only on video or paper. It is nothing but pure BS. Did you buy that system from a guy out MN somewhere?

11. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    they driven faster not this this is average

gross weight is even higher than yours

but this is big difference between 10 and 12+

i remember somewhere in period before 10-15 years my father get 9mpg with 1986 scania based on 1980model on flat part of our country with only few hills

this was winter time he never cared about tire pressure truck was never serviced except of oil and filters sometimes, also tires were not balanced

off highway in one direction loaded with 101500lbs in one direction (overloaded) and empty (35300lbs) in other direction and he is pretty careless for fuel at that time fuel was 3timmes cheaper than today

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.