Is 10 MPG Possible with a Fully Loaded (80K gross) 5 Axle Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dice1, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Let's try to keep it where the ROI (Return On Investment) is realized in a few weeks or months with the fuel mileage gained.

Just like if the MicroBlue Racing Wheel Bearings treatment gained 1/2 mpg with $700 spent would payback in 3 weeks with a 5 mpg truck running 3,000 miles a week using $4 per gallon fuel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. V8Lenny

V8Lenny Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Europe
    My point was if only 1 out of 1000 US customers want to buy a fuel efficient truck then you will never get it because it's not profitable for the manufacturers to design and built them. You had Pete 372 but no one bought them because they didn't look manly enough.

4. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I know this information from Cummins makes a difference when testing too.

Road Surface ​
    [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    Even road surface has a documented effect on fuel economy.
    Using new concrete as the standard baseline, worn or polished concrete is even better. All other road surfaces are worse, some substantially. ​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    Table 7: Tire Rolling Resistance Pavement Type and Condition versus Relative Rolling Resistance ​
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    Relative Rolling Road Surface Resistance %

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    Concrete polished (best MPG) –12%
    new baseline
    Asphalt with finish coat 1%
    medium coarse finish 4%
    coarse aggregate 8%
    Chip and Seal Blacktop (worst MPG) 33% ​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Road roughness can increase rolling resistance up to 20% due to energy dissipation in the tires and suspension (10% loss of MPG).
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

5. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    None that I know of except for the cost to disassemble the parts to have done and the downtime of the tractor to do it. Now if you are PMing your truck with a planned replacement you are out just the expense of having it MicroBlue micro-polished and coated.

The coating is only a mil thick and should not come off. In powder form the coating is a great oil additive from what I am told.

MicroBlue Racing's website: http://www.microblueracing.com/
    There is alot of information on the micro-polishing and coating there along with all the parts in your motor and drive train they can do.

Here is one of the web pages that explain the process better:

The picture of the metal under a microscope explains alot that even Timken's wheel bearings they do specially for NASCAR teams have been micro-polished and coated in house. It is a shame they don't offer that technology to the trucking industry.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    [SIZE=+1]Microblueracing's patent is a good read for understanding how tungsten disulfide works as a dry lubricant and why their process maximises the coating.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7232614.PN.&OS=PN/7232614&RS=PN/7232614[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]
    This site has more information on tungsten disulfide.

http://lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=1

as does this site
    http://www.ws2oil.com/index.html

Now I'm tempted to buy a pound and dump it into the boxes.[/SIZE]

7. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    How is it not profitable for manufacturers to build a fuel efficient truck? :biggrin_2556:

They aren't the ones profiting from fuel sales.

8. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I think he means that it is not profitable because the truck buyers don't buy this type of truck.Therefore they don't sell enough of them.

It is a stab at the US consumers preference for form over functionality from Lenny's perspective.

9. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    Not true. Almost all companies look for any means possible to save money for a profit. Fuel is the biggest expense for any company, even though it's tax deductable.

10. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    but your market is not generally conscious about fuel

i can understand you dont need to care so much
    since here now gallon 7.5$ are trucks are much efficient

here you can find lot of trucks which have cruising speed at only 1000rpm

or similar cases

11. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    You gotta be kidding. I get bothered about the mileage on my truck all the time. They post the mileage for all the trucks on the wall every week. If there was a highly fuel efficient truck out there that the dealer didn't want $250k for (or some other insane number) there'd be 75 of them with our name on them.

And there's one problem. They design these vehicles over here to get great mileage and then try to sell them for 5 times what they're worth. Of course nobody wants to buy one. Nobody likes getting ripped off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.