Is 2-3 days off for every 3-4 weeks out the standard for OTR Megas?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by biddlydiddly, Sep 21, 2021.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Yup. People avoid slip-seating, but working for a slip-seat operation guarantees you will get a least 12 hours off between shifts.

Our slip-seat guys work five eight-hour shifts per week, and take weekends off. We have part-timers to move the freight on the weekends. This is one of the many reasons we have such low turnover, a great work-life balance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    They’re all quick to show you their shiny participation medals from the pain olympics. I give a lot of “ooooh”s and “aaaaaah”s and they appear satisfied.

Mototom and Frank Speak Thank this.
  4. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    M-F OTR for me. Keep an eye out and you'll find a good company.

5. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    We have a guy who has basically done the same route for the past decade (unless he asks for a change of scenery for a week or two). He departs on Sunday morning, and he's back in our yard Friday morning, like clockwork. We try to set all of our drivers up on a schedule they want, as those are the things that keep them happy, productive, and RETAINED.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    How do some companies not understand this‽

7. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    That's why I tell everyone looking for a job to ask the recruiter what their company's current turnover rate happens to be... most, if not all, are around 100%!

Drive a driver like he's a slave to the road, and you'll constantly be looking for dozens of drivers per month.

Our strategy seems to work... we aren't the highest paying company out there, but our turnover is only 35-36% each year, mostly due to our ever-aging group retiring.

I talked to a kid at PAM (Poverty And Malnutrition) today... Making $0.43/mile, yet only brought home $4-something this past week. Out 3 weeks, home 4 days. After an hours' discussion, he applied here, called PAM to ask where to drop the truck, and will be joining us Monday. I bet he'll be with us a good long while, too.

Speed_Drums and Mototom Thank this.
  8. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Does a 4 day work week exist anywhere in Trucking? I think that would be an incredibly popular schedule for many people who want a work/life balance.

9. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    We've got a couple local guys who work 4-10s.

sventvkg Thanks this.
  10. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Bless you.

So many companies either don't understand or don't care.

11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Lol....slept until 1600 Sunday.....stayed up until 0000 while the wife and kids slept....until 0600 Monday...got up...mowed the lawn...changed the oil in the wifes car so she would SFTU. Yelled at the kids a couple of times.....took a nap at 1200....got up at 1500....packed up all of your crap and headed back to the terminal to start your week! Yup....home weekly.....gotta love it:rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.