Is a move to Spain a silly idea?

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by Rav, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Rav

Rav Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Ireland
    Hi everyone.

New here, first post so be nice :biggrin_25522:

Anyway. Ill start at the start.

Im 30 years old (Birthday today actually lol) and from Co Louth in Ireland. I have a plan to move to Canada to become a long Haul trucker in the next few years.

I really want to get out of Ireland though as its such a rip off to live here! I started driving 30ft rigid's when I was 18. Done that for 5 years then I moved into the office of the same company where I worked for the next 7 years. This thought me I dont like working in an office!!

I'm currently waiting for a date to do my Artic truck licence test. I have some work lined up driving round Ireland with my Sister's company as soon as I have the licence but unfortunitly I need at least 2 years experience driving in Europe (Mainland) before any truck company in Canada will even interview me.

Myself and the Mrs have just returned from a week in Spain (My parents have a house on the south coast) and we totally fell in love with the place. The cost of living, the food, the wine, the people just everything. She could walk into a horsey job anywhere in the world but Im wondering what the suitation is like with Trucking in the country. In not too bothered with getting paid massive wages as its only a stopgap to pick up the experience needed for driving in Canada.

Am I right in the head to be thinking of a plan like this in the current economic suitation?

Any help would be much appreciated

PS. Sorry if I rambled on a bit there :biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Welcome aboard, glad you joined us. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Be patient, I'm sure some of our international drivers will be able to answer your questions here.

prisonerofthehwy Thanks this.
  4. Mooney

Mooney Road Train Member

Spain's unemployment rate is over 20%, Good luck.

5. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Hello Rav and Welcome

Happy Birthday!!!!

6. ukalberta

ukalberta Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    UK
    You can get into Canada with NO Euro experience, and I know someone who got a job there and had only had a British HGV for 4 months!
    You still have to pass the Canadian class 1 though.

Spain?
    Wish I were there.

Rav Thanks this.
  7. Rav

Rav Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Ireland

Thanks Ukal

I guess Im just unlucky with my timing as I contacted 6 or 7 compaines in Canada and was told by all of them I need 2 years experience before I can get an interview. I guess its because the're just not hireing any foregin people at the minute due to the downturn.

They all told me to keep in contact with them and to keep asking around though. Its just a matter of pestering enough of them I suppose and I might get lucky.

The UK is somewhere we are looking at though. Seems to be a bit of work on there at the mo. I just want to make sure anything I do is getting me closer to a move to Canada.

TBH Im also looking at New Zealand and Oz but its so far away from family Im leaving in Ireland. At least Canada is only a 6 hour flight

Bloody recession! :biggrin_2552:

EDIT:

How long ago was it that your friend got a job with only 4 month experience? Im guessing it was before the world's downturn?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. ukalberta

ukalberta Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    UK
    About a year ago, and you could still get on ...you have to lie!

9. Rav

Rav Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Ireland
    Ah right I get ya now.

I cant ever see myself doing that but thanks for the advice anyway

10. qandras

qandras Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Montreal, QC
    Be aware Dude, this Canadians will put you team driving long distance USA. You will se your wife once a month average. Read britishexpat forums about this topic. Many give up everything in EU come here and live from paycheck to paycheck. Dead end. Spain sounds better for short run. Don't sell anything at home. Come easy, leave easy if necessary. Avoid Quebec and Otario. These are full of indan, pakistani companies and drivers. Job-wise try Sask or Manitoba, but there are no mountains and there is the could. 3rd option Alberta. Good luck.

11. cab hotel

cab hotel Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2010
    howya bud i had been running down to malaga since 94 up to last year when paddy betz under cut the rate anyways in the last 2 year spain has had massive unemployment 1.2mil i think your jumping out of pan into fire unless you think about down under prob a better option good luck

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.