is an overweight ticket a moving violation?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by marvelousmack, Mar 19, 2021.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Pennies. Part of business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

1985 Dad was busted around Romulus Mi. K100 with a 40' trailer 3x9' spread on Ohio plates and no permits. 6 Axle and only 5 recognizable. 153k payload, 5 grand and 3 days in jail. Truck, trailer, and coils impounded, cash bond. Mom and 3 boys in the Bonney wagon went to bail him out. Paid the tow yard cash to reload it. He gave his word to deliver it. That he did.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  4. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Last check I think I have 5 or 6 of them on my record, Colorado records them as "Overweight axles", since they are zero point non-moving, after 10 yrs I can submit to try and have them removed

Many years ago, we did these loads of plate steel from Midwest, Wyo., they were cutting up empty oil storage tanks and shipping the scrap to China. We were loading them in a 20' container on a 3 axle chassis, the onsite scale wasn't big enough for us to scale as a full length vehicle, so he had to do split weights, which are not legal. Somehow, in counting his fingers and toes, he miscalculated my weight. I had this nice new Mack, 450 hp motor, pulled like the dickens, I got loaded, stretched the chassis out, looked at my suspension gauge (which I wasn't sure how to read yet), figured I was legal and hopped on I-25. The whole way back, I was like "something is wrong with this truck, I have no power on the hills". Got to the scale at Ft. Collins, red light on pre-pass, roll across the scale, they pulled me in. Made me back up, they closed the scale, had me axle it again, and each time I had to wait till the scale settled. 103,400 lbs. Ended shortening the chassis up, parking it to the side of the scale where it sat for 4 days, the customer had to come down with a reach lift and a trailer and unload enough to make it legal. The ticket was $7,500, I had to post a $500 bond upfront cash/credit before they would let me leave.

Speed_Drums and snowlauncher Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Bootlegging an OSOW? Yessir, you can end up in jail. We had a guy go off route for a bootycall in Illinois. He got arrested and had to post bond for a $70000 fine. Another friend of mine got caught in Baltimore trying to sneak to the port. Arrested and a $16000 fine.

It’s not about being dangerous. They are insuring that the bootlegger shows up to court.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    These are probably the same places where junkies are allowed to shoot up or smoke crack on the steps of the courthouse, police station or city hall without so much as a misdemeanor citation...

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Smoking crack won’t knock a bridge down or collapse a road.

8. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington

Give my stepson some crack and a rubber hammer he'll take out Grand Coulee dam looking for the next fix.

Dipshot would probably start at the bottom!

9. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I don't know why I'm questioning the issue. Everything on the internet is true, plus truckers NEVER embellish on their stories.

10. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I've never been arrested, but have posted cash bond in MI. More than once.

If you don't like the answers, why ask the question?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.